Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall is a southerners reward for having survived summer

“Fall is a southerners reward for having survived summer” designer James Farmer

How can you not agree with that quote?!

The first week of September I pulled our fall decorations out and went to town transforming our house into an autumn wonderland.  I had a blast decorating this year.  Despite the still warm weather, it feels like fall at home :-)
First thing I did was start a pot of chili on the stove.  The smell alone had me feeling festive :-)DSC05990
Next, I made sure football was on TV and got to decorating.  This is our autumn mantel.  DSC05973
On the left side, I have 2 small leaf tealight holders, an owl, an orange gourd vase, a gold frame with me & hubs, and a candle stand with  a pumpkin scented candle on top and filled with mini pumpkins.  I’m not a huge Halloween person, so in my attempt to try and incorporate Halloween I added a rubber spider.  Yes I know, I’m real crazy lolDSC05983
Below on the left side, I have my distressed ‘H’, a large acorn, an upside down wooden container with a candle on top, & 3 fall scented candles.DSC05978
The swag in the middle I made, and you can see how I did that here. DSC05980 On the right side of the mantle I have another gourd filled with wheat, another leaf tealight holder, a mason jar filled with acorns, a photo of us, and another candle stand filled with mini pumpkins.  Again, I added a rat and a spider to try to be Halloweenie.  DSC05982
On the coffee table I have a white compote filled with nature-like things: acorns, pine cones, mini pumpkins, leaves…you get the idea.DSC02736-2 DSC02737-2
I purchased these pillows last year at Pier 1.  I don’t normally have them out on the couch, but I love them for the fall because the orange ones look like piles of leaves.  Do you think so, or am I just crazy?  DSC02868-2DSC02866-2 In the dining room I went simpler than I have in previous years.  I have a rod iron pumpkin with a pumpkin scented candle as a centerpiece.  I purchase new quilted placemats this year but reused the green linens from a couple years ago.  DSC05984DSC05986On the right side of the buffet I have bowls and napkins ready for our chili.  Yum-o!  DSC05989And on the left side I brought my coffee candles in from the porch and put in pumpkin scented candles.  I got that owl tealight from Kroger for $3; cute, right?DSC05988
             So this is how we’re living for the next couple months.  Have you started decorating for fall?  What do you do for fall?  What family traditions do you have for this time of year?
xoxo Darby

11 comments :

Bridget said...

I love the quote and completely agree! This morning it was 65 degrees so I went outside to eat my breakfast! :) I wanted to enjoy the fall feeling while I could! :)

Jen said...

Your home looks so festive and great!

Lindsey said...

I put all my stuff out the first week in September as well. Last year I had my Christmas stuff up though before Halloween!... I think this year I am going to "try" to keep it up until Thanksgiving...we will see if it happens.. ahha!! :) Btw... we need to get together sometime... I still have never been to your house and you haven't been to mine... I guess it is just the life of two busy couples :)

Lindsay said...

Um, yes, I can totally relate with that saying. I am SO ready for fall after such a hot & humid summer. :) You have decorated very nicely. It all flows so well together. I love all the little details!

Joy said...

Okay, I'm laughing with you and your spiders and mouse! LOL I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, either. We just have things ready for fall with the colors, mums and pumpkins. And you are probably going to die when I tell you this, but all of it comes down the first week of November and the Christmas decor goes up the second week of November. YES, I know, I'm crazy, but I've done it this way for years!! =)

Loved the post!!

sherri lynn said...

I love all your fall decorations! I need to get on the ball because so far all I have is some fall-ish flowers and a candle out :/

Crystal said...

LOVE this post! Everything looks fabulous! You are totally not crazy about those pillows. They really do look like fall leaves! I am totally laughing at your spiders and mouse! I am really not a Halloween decorating person, either! If I had kids or even a few trick or treaters I would probably add a little more spooky decor.
p.s. I love the candle holders on your fireplace!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

i love how you are decked out and ready for fall! the pillows are my fav!

DaisyGirl said...

I DO agree with that comment. haha!! Well said!!!

And your decorations....SO PRETTY!!

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

I love fall. Your home looks cozy!

Meg said...

Here from the blog hop! I absolutely LOVE your dining room! That rod iron pumpkin and those table clothes are so awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...