Friday, October 28, 2011

It’s Tradition :-)

Every time Phil and I go back home for the holidays, my father-in-law has a tradition of making us caramel popcorn.  I think he makes it for himself, and I just gobble up more than my fair share haha.  I can’t even apologize for how I shovel the stuff into my face; it’s just too good!

With the weather FINALLY starting to cool off in Houston, I made some caramel popcorn a couple weeks ago and wanted to share this Hawley tradition with you. 
This is what you need (looks like an advertisement for Kroger, right? lol)DSC06181
Mix 2 cups brown sugar, 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp baking soda in a pan over medium heat.   DSC06185While the topping is heating, grease a 13x9 pan, and start popping the popcorn (3 bags of buttered microwave popcorn).  As the popcorn finishes, pour it into your greased pan (make sure to take out any un-popped kernels; the kernels will match the color of the caramel and it will hurt to bite down onto).  Resist eating the finished popcorn; if you can ;-) DSC06186 DSC06187When the topping starts boiling make sure that you stir frequently so that it doesn’t burn or boil over.  DSC06188When the topping is all melted and starts to get a fluffy texture (about 5-10 minutes), pour it over your popcorn.  Gently stir the popcorn and the caramel and put it into a 250 degree preheated oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.DSC06189
Once the popcorn is done, cover the counter top with wax paper and pour the popcorn into the wax paper.  Stir the popcorn to make sure every inch is covered in the delicious gooeyness.  At this point you can let it cool (if you have great discipline- I do not), and put it into a bowl.  I don’t put it in a bowl.  I don’t see the point in dirtying another dish, because I have every intension of grazing on this popcorn every time I walk by it for the rest of the day.DSC06190
      I’m certain you will love this popcorn, and that it will become a tradition in your home too :-) 

Hope you have a great Halloween weekend!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...