I made this nostalgic coffee cake last weekend and it was perfectly cozy and warm. The cake is both thick and fluffy at the same time and the perfect date for your morning coffee (all morning coffee needs a date!). Being smack-dab in the middle of the holiday season, I plan on making this for us again. Yum-O!Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
5 tbs butter, room temperature
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup apple butter
powdered sugar (optional)
1. For the topping, mix together all of the dry ingredients and then add butter and mix together with your fingers until incorporated, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8-inch pan with aluminum foil leaving some extra foil to hang off the edges. Butter the foil.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together on medium until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time and beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. On low, add dry batter ingredients in 3 batches, alternating between the sour cream, and beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
4. Spread half of the batter in the pan, and top with apple butter, then add the remaining batter. Finish by sprinkling the topping over the batter evenly. Bake until golden brown, about 55 minutes.
5. Cool on a drying rack and then use the aluminum hang-over to remove the cake. Once cooled dust with powdered sugar.