Monday, December 2, 2013

Adult Acne {Revisited} & My *Miracle* Skin Care System!

So, folks, how was Thanksgiving?!?!? You’ve got to tell me all about it!  I’m definitely still recuperating from the weekend, so pics from our yummy family-fun weekend are soon to follow!

Do you remember over the summer when I came to you whining about my recent run-in with adult-acne?! Well I can finally let you in on the rest of the story: most of this was due to all the hormones I was hopped up on at the time while we were trying to conceive.  Talk about romantic, right? No, it was totally gross and a huuuuuuugggeee confidence killer!  It was hard to take anything orally or topically to treat my continual breakouts because it was a hormonal cause that wasn’t going away any time soon, in addition to the fact that some chemicals were on my no-no list.  I have been so proactive (and even used that product lol) in trying to clear up my skin.  I have tried EVERYTHING!  No lie, everything.  It’s scary how much money I’ve spent on products, treatments, and tools. S-C-A-R-Y!  In my quest for an alternative treatment I came across this DIY acne scarring face mask that truly did wonders for my skin in helping to prevent scarring.  But, with more research (always a neuroscientist y’all) I also came across my miracle adult acne killer!  I have trashed everything else; all those millions of bottles that are half empty are in the trash and I will NEVER be going back!  Not only that, the tons of money I spent for treatments, machines, and chemicals are no longer needed!  What is my new CHEAP secret?

WATER &APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!!!!!

Yes you read that correctly!  Something that costs me 99 cents every six months has kept my skin cleaner and softer than it has ever been in my entire life….EVEN with all of the hormones!  I’m sure you could buy something natural and organic and all that jazz, and go for it.  I don’t; I just buy the regular old grocery store brand.  Bottom line, the ACV has antibacterial and antiseptic properties, that also helps with the pH balance of your skin.  This will improve the natural shedding of skin (and therefore prevention of breakouts & blackheads).Apple Cider Vinegar- Miracle Skin Care System
This is how it works: When you start, purchase a little plastic bottle that you can mix your ingredients together in.  I use a 3 oz. bottle that I got at the dollar store.  The first time you cycle through the bottle, start with 25% ACV and 75% H2O.  Then when the bottle is empty and you need to remix, go up on ACV in increments of 25% until you are at full ACV and minimal water (if any)*.  You can tailor this schedule to your own skin preferences.  I have fairly sensitive skin, and I was worried that I might irritate my skin so I did two full cycles of the 25% ACV before increasing just to be safe.  I wash my face in the shower in the morning with my Clarisonic and go over my face with the ACV (like you would with a toner) with a cotton pad when I get out (obviously avoid your eyes & mouth).  When my face dries (in like 10 seconds), I follow the ACV up with my moisturizer once a day.  If I remember to wipe off my makeup in the evening I repeat this process; otherwise I don’t do anything in the evenings.  I know, I know, bad Darby!

I know you must be thinking, doesn’t your face stink?!  I can honestly say that it doesn’t.  The Mr. walked in on me cleaning my face the other day and asked, “are you putting vinegar on your face?!”  I said that I was, but here is the thing, I have been doing this treatment for months now and he hasn’t noticed.  Even when we go to bed in the evenings he hasn’t smelled it.  When you first apply the ACV, of course it smells, but as soon as it dries, in a matter of seconds, the smell is gone.

For the first time in my entire life I feel comfortable and confident leaving the house without makeup.  Now I am a traditional southern gal so this doesn’t happen often, but when it does, I’m totally okay with it.  This is now my go-to and I wont be going back to anything else.  I highly recommend this system. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Happy Monday……23 days until Christmas!!!!!

***I have updated and added to this post; click here for more about my Miracle Skin Care System!***
*I am not a dermatologist; this recipe has not been approved by the FDA or anyone else (that I’m aware of).  This is just something I have been using.  Please refer to your own doctor before trying something new.
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...