Friday, August 2, 2013

DIY Face Mask {Adult Acne Scarring}

It’s no secret….though I really wish it was.  Lately with everything going on around us, my face has regressed back to my puberty years.  I’m not exaggerating here people; in fact, I can honestly say that my face looks worse today than all of my middle school years put together.  To say it’s embarrassing is an understatement!  At my age acne shouldn’t be an issue, right?! Well wrong, in my case. 

I have been so proactive (and even used that product lol) in trying to clear up my skin.  I have tried EVERYTHING!  No lie, everything.  It’s scary how much money I’ve spent on products, treatments, and tools. SCARY!

In my hunt to discover an acne miracle, I researched some ways to decrease the signs of acne scarring.  I have been using this mask* twice a week for a couple of weeks now and I can definitely see some relief on my face (and my self- confidence is coming back too, FINALLY!).  This mask is jam packed with anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-viral components, as well as an astringent.  So I wanted to share this with you in case you’ve got similar issues going on (though I hope for your sake that you don’t; in fact I hope NO ONE has to use this mask because that would mean you’re not suffering from adult acne like me.  It’s just a terrible thing y’all!).

In the evening, after you’ve removed your makeup and cleansed your face, apply this mask and let it sit for 20-30 minutes before washing off and applying your toners/moisturizers.  There is NO need to scrub this mask off; be gentle with your skin. 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp honey
a few drops to 2 tbs lemon juice (see note below)
The vitamin C from the lemon juice is the active ingredient helpful in decreasing the scarring from acne.  However, you want to be careful if you’ve got sensitive skin.  I would recommend starting with just a few drops of lemon juice first and then gradually increase to your comfort level.  Some people have reported a burning sensation with the lemon juice, I have not had this issue because I have not put a ton of it on my face.  I have very gently and slowly increased the amount of lemon juice that I have used.  The first time I tried the mask, my face was a little pink for about 25 minutes after I removed the mask, but it didn’t hurt and it faded quickly.DIY Face Mask
No, you will not get a picture of me wearing this mask; I doubt if my self-confidence will ever be that high lol

Let me know if you try this mask and what you think of it :-)
 
Is anyone else suffering from adult acne?
Tips for me that you’ve found?!?!?! 
Please help a sister out if you’ve got a secret acne cure!
*I am not a dermatologist; this recipe has not been approved by the FDA or anyone else (that I’m aware of).  This is just something I have been using.  Please refer to your own doctor before trying something new.
xoxo Darby

8 comments :

Joy said...

I've seen you without makeup and you are BEAUTIFUL! I'm thinking I might try this mask... even though you have slightly scared me with the lemon juice. Ha!

Miss MP said...

I get acne on my neck and chin. I started using Clinique's acne solution line. I use the bar soap to wash, their astringent (which is awesome), and then their moisturizer for the day. I still use my heavy anit-aging cream at night (unless I'm really broken out and I'll use the day stuff again). I've heard their spot gel is awesome as well. Adult acne sucks!

Ari @ The Pace of it All said...

I hear you... Right now my chin is all sorts of broken out, worse than I've ever had in my life. Will need to try this mask out, I miss my old face lol

Rachelle @ Inner Loop Adventures said...

I've wondered about these home remedies. I use Origins Zero Oil, which helps most if the time, but like you, I get flare ups during stressful times (such as this week!) might have to give this mask a try. Thanks for sharing!

Morgan said...

Have you tried the Rodan + Fields line? I don't know much about it but I hear it is great. It's by the same doctors that make Proactive. I have a friend who is a rep (and she is trying to get me to be one...not sure about that!) Anyway, it's worth looking into! ((hugs))

Jessica K said...

I had this mask pinned and was afraid to try it!

You are not alone...and bad news... it's genetic. I get my skin from my mom for sure, and she's 58 and still gets acne. Man do I have a bright future... Hahaha!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Darby!! My face is a hot mess these days. I am thinking part of it is due to the pregnancy, but I have always had bad scars on my chin. I am so excited to try this home made mask. For my daily face cleaning method, I have been using the Oil method. It sounds crazy, but it seems to work for my face. I actually use a combonation of Olive Oil and Castor Oil to wash my face once a day (that is what is recomended). Most face washes actually remove the oil, dryng your skin out. This replinishes the natural oils you should have. It is also great for removing the makeup. My skin doesn't seem to be any worse than when I used store bought products, and this method is way cheaper. My sister told me about it, and I really like it. You can also add different oils like Tea Tree oil to the mixture during your monthly cycle to help with breakouts. I know you enjoy home remedies, so I thought I would share it with you!
Emily Preddy

Anne W said...

Hey Girl! I use the oil method, my face has never been cleaner I use straight virgin coconut oil, but if you have a oil issue add a little castor oil. I still get the occasional pimple mostly around that time of the month but its not nearly what it use to be.

I do it twice a day, just massage on then lay a hot wash cloth over my face to help the oil soak in my skin once the cloth cools gently wipe off. Nothing has ever gotten my face this clean and I was a head to toe MK girl until a year ago! :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...