Friday, September 30, 2011

Destruction Before Reconstruction: Headboard

**Warning, Mrs Hawley is about to bombard you with a ton of pictures; brace yourself & consider yourself warned**

After a lot of hunting in the stores and perusing blogland and pinterest, the Mr and I never found a headboard we liked.  Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of great headboards out there, but there was always something about it: it’s too expensive, it doesn’t fit us, it wont match the room. You get the idea.  Perhaps I’m a bit “particular”. 

My top two favorite headboard options were these:

I loved the idea that I could make this one all by myself and for a great price.  I planned on using the same stencil and paint that I used on the nightstand (here).  I thought it would still have that rustic romance feel I was going for and that the stencil would tie everything together but not too match-matchy.  Phil said he really didn't like this one because it looked “unfinished” and I could see where he got that from.  I mean it is just a bunch of 2x8’s.  Maybe it was a bit girly too.heather_after
So my next favorite option that I could make was this one.  I was thinking that I would cover it in burlap like the lamp (here) and then use upholstery nails on the sides.  But then I felt like I was settling, because while this one IS gorgeous, it didn’t feel like it was me.  Ya know?DSC_0707 
  After about 4 weeks of nothingness I was getting a bit discouraged; I felt like I was hitting a brick wall with this room make-over.  Then I went on a drive……I wish it was as amazing as it sounds, but to be honest, most of this drive was spent sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic.  That is besides the point though.  I generally do my best thinking in the shower and in the car; on this particular day, I had my brainstorm in the car.
Remember these shutters?DSC05667-2 from this project?DSC05708-2

Oh yeah, I think you know where I’m going with this. 

For my shutter picture holder I only used 1 panel.  Meaning that I had 2 more just waiting to be used for something (Yes I feel like a complete idiot because it took me about a month of tripping over the extra panels for it to finally click in my brain).  All I needed for this project was a few screws, a drill, a saw,  and some muscles! (enter sexy husband)
Phil cut the feet off of the panels.DSC05960
Turned the panels horizontally, and drilled them to the wall.  Yes they were small screws in case I changed my mind so as not to destroy the wall, but big enough so it wouldn't fall down.DSC05962-2

Bam

Shutter headboard

Does it get easier or cheaper than that?!DSC06005-2DSC06003-2DSC05999-2DSC06000-2
    
What do you think? Am I sticking to rustic romance, or am I a cheap-o that needs to stop trying to be a designer and just go to Pottery Barn?
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...