Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Take that Hobby Lobby!

Since September 1st, I have been itching to pull my autumn decor out of their boxes and transform our house into a festive fall wonderland.  On Saturday, I could resist no longer!

After my Pumpkin Spice Latte, College Game Day, and morning walk with T, I treated myself to some shopping since Phil was working.  I really only went out for candles…….but if you know me at all, you know that I didn’t come home with just candles (oopsies! I just might have a shopping problem lol).

When I was at Hobby Lobby, I noticed how absolutely gorgeous the fall wreaths were.  Knowing that I am not one with a lot of time this fall, I thought I would purchase one since I normally make my own. 

$79.99!!!!!!

That is what the price tag said!  I kid you not!  Granted it was 50% off, but still, $40 for a wreath from HL?! I DON’T THINK SO! 

When I saw that price tag, the challenge was on!  I was going to show up HL!  No, I was going to blow them out of the water (maybe this was the extra caffeine I had consumed earlier talking now?)

Here are the tools for my wreath:
Letter- $1.99
Folkart paint (Metallic Inca Gold)- $0.99
Leaves- $3.99
2 Pumpkins- $1.47
Satin ribbon- $1.99
Swag- $1.99
Total: $12.47  <-- already I’ve beat HL if you ask me ;-)DSC05950
The first thing I did was paint the ‘H’; I only did 2 coats.  I really liked the shade & shine with the metallic paint.   While the paint was drying, I glued the leaves and the pumpkins to the swag.  DSC05953DSC05955I only glued on 7 of the leaves, but I’m sure you could do way more if you wanted to.  Then, using the ribbon, I tied the ‘H’ to the bottom of the swag.

That’s it!

Even though I hadn’t planned on making a wreath of any sort this year because of time, this wreath took me less than 10 minutes and only ran me $12.42!  In your face HL! 

I have the swag hanging at the center of the mantle.  I was going to put it on the front door, but Phil said he liked it here, so here it is :-)DSC05980
     What do you think?
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...