Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Take that Hobby Lobby!

Since September 1st, I have been itching to pull my autumn decor out of their boxes and transform our house into a festive fall wonderland.  On Saturday, I could resist no longer!

After my Pumpkin Spice Latte, College Game Day, and morning walk with T, I treated myself to some shopping since Phil was working.  I really only went out for candles…….but if you know me at all, you know that I didn’t come home with just candles (oopsies! I just might have a shopping problem lol).

When I was at Hobby Lobby, I noticed how absolutely gorgeous the fall wreaths were.  Knowing that I am not one with a lot of time this fall, I thought I would purchase one since I normally make my own. 

$79.99!!!!!!

That is what the price tag said!  I kid you not!  Granted it was 50% off, but still, $40 for a wreath from HL?! I DON’T THINK SO! 

When I saw that price tag, the challenge was on!  I was going to show up HL!  No, I was going to blow them out of the water (maybe this was the extra caffeine I had consumed earlier talking now?)

Here are the tools for my wreath:
Letter- $1.99
Folkart paint (Metallic Inca Gold)- $0.99
Leaves- $3.99
2 Pumpkins- $1.47
Satin ribbon- $1.99
Swag- $1.99
Total: $12.47  <-- already I’ve beat HL if you ask me ;-)DSC05950
The first thing I did was paint the ‘H’; I only did 2 coats.  I really liked the shade & shine with the metallic paint.   While the paint was drying, I glued the leaves and the pumpkins to the swag.  DSC05953DSC05955I only glued on 7 of the leaves, but I’m sure you could do way more if you wanted to.  Then, using the ribbon, I tied the ‘H’ to the bottom of the swag.

That’s it!

Even though I hadn’t planned on making a wreath of any sort this year because of time, this wreath took me less than 10 minutes and only ran me $12.42!  In your face HL! 

I have the swag hanging at the center of the mantle.  I was going to put it on the front door, but Phil said he liked it here, so here it is :-)DSC05980
     What do you think?

19 comments:

Lindsay said...

That looks awesome! You did a great job. And I love the name of your title. :) Super cute new decor!

Meggan of Lila Grace said...

Darby, we are totally on the same page, I just posted a fall wreath! LOL Love your creation and that you used the H! It looks great on your mantle! xo

sherri lynn said...

This looks really good! I can't believe how expensive those HL wreaths were! That's crazy! I'm not very crafty but now I kind of want to make a fall wreath...

Joy said...

HAHA — I LOVE it! I would be broke if I had a Hobby Lobby even 30 miles from my house!!!

Cassie said...

Oh my gosh!! That is so cute!

Jamie said...

Good work girl. I think it's adorable and pretty to boot!

Ashley Smith said...

cute can you make me one please.. I dont know if i have the time.. I might try .. looks like fun.. our door and mantle are bare :(

An Irish Italian Blessing said...

I TOTALLY LOVE IT! LOVE IT! I bet it makes the house feel so much more like fall too. And a pumpkin spice latte probably put you right in the mood. Did you even get the candles? Oh and I definitely think you kicked hobby lobby's butt here!

Madison said...

Madison here from Crafty Critique. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! You have a fabulous one yourself! ;) And I totally know what you mean about the prices on wreaths at craft stores. I'm always surprised they can sell them for that much. They usually go really on sale at the end of the season. That's when you've got to snatch them up for next year! ;) But your fall swag turned out amazing! You should be proud. Plus you saved a bunch! :)

Amy said...

Really cute! I agree, the wreaths at craft stores are so outrageously priced...and a lot of times I think they're ugly anyway! Way to show HL what you can do! :) My Fall Craft Challenge this week is going to be door decor; I would love for you to come by on Friday and link this up! Oh, and PS - you and your hubby are adorable together. You guys have about the same height difference my hubs and I do!

oneartmama.blogspot.com

Twinkle Star said...

Wow, that looks really fab and only took you 10 mins? Amazing! Well done x

Kaysi said...

super cute!

Kellyn Fleming said...

You saw the start of my Fall decor when you were here....Im thinking I need to make an addition now! I love it!!! Very inspiring!

Morgan said...

you're so crafty, Darby! you definitely kicked some Hobby Lobby butt! :-)

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

Looks terrific. I made my fall wreath last year and this year, it just makes me happy.

Judy Haughton-James said...

Very beautiful and so creative! Saved some money too! The way to go! I am a new Follower from Jamaica. I am not only fascinated by the breathtaking autumn scenes on pictures, postcards etc. but I note that there are also some beautiful autumn decorations. You did a great job!
Judy - JUDY H-J'S THOUGHTS

The Sims II said...

LOVE LOVE!! Totally makes me want to run out and make one of my own!

Crystal said...

This is amazing Darby! I want to make one for my mantle now! What an easy way to make a big impact for fall! :) Have a fabulous day, my friend! :)
Crystal

Amy said...

Thanks for linking up, Darby! I'm sure everyone will love to see your creation. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover