Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cooking for Tomlin….

…is soooo much easier than cooking for my husband.  It’s faster & cheaper too!

Not even kidding!  I found these amazing dog bone trays for $6.95 and have made 3 recipes for Tomlin.  They are soooo easy and she loves them.  The tray comes with a silicone insert and a spout so you can easily pour in the ingredients, freeze it, and then pop the bones right out.  Seriously, does it get easier than that?  I wonder what Phil would think if I started making his meals this way? hmmmmmm ;-)

Ok back to reality.  The first set of bones I made for Tomlin were chicken flavored.  I mixed a cup of water with a cup of fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth.  I poured the mixture into the little spout and froze it over night.DSC05867-2DSC05870DSC05871
The second recipe I made was with creamy (salt-free) peanut butter, greek yogurt, and about a teaspoon of honey.  I mixed all three together and spread a dollop into the silicon tray.  These are Tomlin’s favorite; she can finish an entire bone in less than 5 seconds (we’ve timed her).DSC05940DSC05942DSC05945DSC05948
The third type of bone that I made for Tomlin required a trip to the store.  So far with the other recipes I already had the ingredients on hand.  For this recipe I needed baby food and this was a first time shopping experience for me.  I was blown away with the variety of flavors but glad that there were so many options so that I could make sure to get something soft for Tomlin’s stomach (she’s a little sensitive in that department).  Not knowing what brands are the best, maybe y’all can give me some suggestions on that one for the future, I purchased several flavors of Beech Nut.  Thank you Jesus that the guy at the register didn’t ask me anything about my “baby”; otherwise I would have had to admit I’m one of those pet-crazy ladies who makes dog bones for her 4-legged child.  I mean I will admit it openly, but I don’t want my weekly cashier judging me for it lol.  Anyways, this time I mixed the baby food with the greek yogurt and peanut butter.  This was another cheap and easy hit! 
DSC05993
My sous chef :-)
When she hears the freezer open she’s at my side in an instant!DSC05944
You’ve got to order one for your pup; I promise they will love the taste, and you will love the ease of making them.

On a different note, remember when I shared some collars with you?  Well I finally decided on one and it arrived a couple weeks ago.  Look how precious Tomlin looks in her new jewelry :-) If you want to spoil you pup, check out Bow Wow Couture on Etsy!DSC06011-2DSC06013-2
Hope you’re having a great day!!!

21 comments:

Erin R said...

I am SO impressed, you have no idea. LOOK AT HOW BIG SHE'S GETTING! Goodness gracious!

Lindsay said...

Aw, that is so thoughtful of you to make! I bet she loved it!

Pattie @ On Hollyhock Farm said...

I just love how you baby your pup! She is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this info. 8^)

sherri lynn said...

You are such a good mom! :) Homemade treats for Tomlin - I'd say she is spoiled :)

Jen said...

Fun! I already know that my dog would go nuts for these treats!

Amber *SaltTree* said...

this would be a great gift for my friend... to wto beagles are her babies!

Danie said...

Love it! Were all of them frozen treats?

Mrs. Pancakes said...

This totally made my day...I'm not even a mommy of a pup and I was impressed...that's looks so good and easy to make!

Ashley Smith said...

I LOVE That you are making tomlin treats and LOVE her little collar.. so yeah now you know why miss P is sooo spoiled.. well was until Lawson came around.. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

ohhhhhhh my goodness I LOVE this idea love love love! And what is the chance that I found you over at a blog linky party----how did I miss this?! I am SO excited---anddd I bet my pups are going to be a little thrilled too! :o)
Jaime

Miss Michelle said...

ahh this is so cute! my furbabies would love these treats as well! So glad i stopped by from the link party :-)

Kim @ The Sasse Life said...

You make it look so easy, I think I might need to try this for our dog! Thanks for sharing. I would love for you to link up with us at http://www.thesasselife.com/2011/09/link-party-5.html. We also have a giveaway going on, so come check it out. Hope to see you there.
your newest follower,
Kim
www.thesasselife.com

Mel the Crafty Scientist said...

I LOOOOVE it! The boyfriend's mom was seriously just showing me one of those trays that she bought for their dogs around Christmas... apparently pups really like the frozen treats when they're outside in the summer. I've got to get to work on this - I know my babies would love it! (And I wouldn't really want to let the cashier know who I'm buying baby food for either...) : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

sarah@totalbassetcase.com said...

This is amazing!! My Floyd LOVES ice cubes...he would love these treats. He especially loves anything that has to do with peanut butter!!

The Sims II said...

This will definitely be in our little four legged ones christmas stocking!!

Tammy @ Type A said...

i can't wait to try these for my baby Stanley!

http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/10/highlights-from-party-36.html

i featured you!!!

Natural-Nesters said...

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I am going to have to try this for my pups! I would love for you to stop by the Naturally-Nifty Linky Party and link up!

http://natural-nester.blogspot.com/2012/02/naturally-nifty-linky-party-2-features.html

-your newest follower!

Renewed Upon a Dream said...

I need to try that peanut butter one... my dog loves peanut butter more than anything!

Ruth said...

I love this idea. I want these. We have three dogs who would be very happy with these treats.
Ruth

Natural-Nesters said...

Hey Darby! We are excited to tell you that your dog bones have been featured over at our Naturally Nifty Party this week! We would love for you to stop by and pick up a featured button to host on your blog! And while you are there go ahead and link up to this weeks party! My sister and I both LOVE dogs so we just love the idea of making homemade dog bones! Thanks for linking up!

http://www.natural-nester.blogspot.com/2012/02/naturally-nifty-linky-party-3-features.html

Jaime Lyn said...

I am still so in love with this post! I am so glad you linked it up again....... Tomlin is so lucky and my pups are so so jealous! :o) ps did you see that I finally etched glass because of you---and I mentioned you and your project as my inspiration!
Jaime

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover