Friday, September 9, 2011

Destruction Before Reconstruction: Lamps & Curtains

The next project to tackle in our bedroom was this lamp.  It’s so plain!  I know, I know, I typically like plain, but this was too plain even for me.

This lamp on my nightstand I got back in college, but in an effort to be financially savvy, I thought of a way to change the lamp without having to purchase a new one.DSC05615-2I dusted off the lamp shade and covered it in burlap ($3.99/yard at Hobby Lobby) using my glue gun.  I painted the base white and voila, a new lamp!  Since I already had glue and white paint, this project only ran me $1.56!DSC05640-2

Before moving to our current home, I had curtains hanging in our bedroom.  When we moved here, the “maid” never hung the curtains (shame on her!).  I purchased long cream colored linen curtains and a new curtain rodDSC05647I read that hanging curtains close to the ceiling makes the room look taller.  We already have pretty tall ceilings (15 feet), but I decided it would make the room look even bigger if I hung them high.  I asked Phil to hang them 3 inches below the crown molding and I think he did a great job.  What do you think?DSC05648

After the bedding and armoire, and lamp and curtains, we were already feeling like the room had made a complete 180.  But you know me; I couldn’t just stop there.  I had to keep going :-)

xoxo Darby

13 comments :

Lindsey said...

okay so this is creepy I was just thinking yesterday about how to cover a lamp...haha

sherri lynn said...

Your new lamp looks so great! I love burlap! And the curtains are beautiful!

Jen said...

Love the lamp! It looks so shabby chic!

Lindsay said...

Oh, I love the new lamp look! Great job on the curtains as well! What wonderful changes!

Joy said...

The lamp looks great!! I never think to redo what I have – I always start looking for what I need to buy new. LOL

Sarah@everydayeasy said...

love the lamp Darby!!!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

The lamp looks very nice! You should do an how-do!!

Crystal said...

LOVE your lamp makeover! {I could easily become addicted to making over lamps!} Stop by and link this up if you get a chance! I would love to feature it! Oh, and I also LOVE the new curtains! The look perfect! :)

Kaitlin Saenz said...

Looks great! I've been wanting to do this with a lamp we have! I'd love for you to share this with my blog party! http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/09/recreate-into-something-new-6.html

Hope to see you at my place!
Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/

Kaitlin Saenz said...

Thanks for responding to my invite! This is so great! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with {Re}creation Into Something New Wednesdays at Not So Simple Housewife! Hope to see more from you this upcoming Wednesday!

Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/

Shelley said...

I was just thinking about covering a lamp shade in some burlap I have laying around! Since yours looks so great I'm gonna do it :D

Thanks for sharing!

Shelley
www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

Stuff and Nonsense said...

i do adore
your new lampshade

it is
so country chic

i did my own a few months ago
with an old burlap coffee bean sack
and i'm itching to do another

just visiting from type a's party!

alison

Jenny said...

The lamp looks awesome!! Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...