Friday, March 16, 2018

Leprechaun Paint

I had not planned on writing this post but I got a lot of comments about it on my Instagram stories so I thought I would share how I combined art with science for St. Patrick's Day fun :-) I told the kids that we were going to paint with "Leprechaun Paint" and they were hooked! And honestly, you really could do this for any holiday, just change up the colors, right?!Leprechaun Paint- Life with the HawleysHawley Homeschool
To make your Leprechaun Paint, you need:
-paper cut into a shamrock (I used cardstock so that it would fall apart so quickly)
-a disposable pan
-green paint & paint brush
-baking soda
-pipette (I used this one)
-white vinegarDSC_0266
I mixed up the green paint & baking soda.  I didn't really measure, but I'm going to guess about 3 tbs of each, in a plastic cup.  With the shamrock in the disposable pain, I got the kids to paint it with the green paint I mixed up.  DSC_0269
When their paper was covered, I asked them what they thought would happen once we added the vinegar to the Leprechaun paint.  We talked about predictions (or hypotheses if I'm going to be technically correct here- can't take the neuroscientist out of the mama ha!), and then I let them pipette (great for fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination) the vinegar onto their shamrocks and let them watch it fizz.  It fizzes up a lot like the volcanos you make in elementary school when you're little.DSC_0272DSC_0273DSC_0274
Super fun and easy activity to talk about the holiday, create an art project, talk about the science of chemical reactions, & fine motor & hand-eye coordination.  All of that in one task!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Don't forget to wear your green!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...