Thursday, October 22, 2009

Turkey Meat Loaf and Chocolate Buttercream Cake and Icing

On Wednesday I cooked a couple recipes from my Barefoot Contessa cookbook. For dinner I made the turkey meat loaf. I took the advice from others and cut the recipe in half. Even the half-sized loaf was quite large especially for only two people. After the loaf had been in the oven for about an hour, I took a peak at it and noticed some…..I guess I will call it “goo,” around the edges of the loaf. At this point I went through the ingredients to make sure that I had included everything. Since I had included everything, I rushed to the blog to see what others had said about it; I guess that is the point of the blog, right?! Another cookbook blogger had experienced the same thing so I felt better about that. Even though I had purchased the leanest ground turkey from the butcher, it still had a little nastiness around the loaf. All-in-all, the meatloaf was ok; it wasn’t horrible, but it was probably the blandest version of meatloaf that I have ever tried. Because it looked a bit nasty I only took a picture of the final product.
Turkey meatloaf with corn and salad (page 138)
For dessert I made the chocolate buttercream cake & with chocolate butterceam icing. As the title implies, this recipe kept up with the theme of this cookbook: lots of butter. This recipe has so much butter in it. While I didn’t alter the amount of butter, I did use low fat buttermilk and sour cream in the cake and omitted the brewed coffee. For the icing I used 18 oz of semisweet chocolate chips and omitted the rum and espresso powder (what section of the grocery store is espresso powder in?!).
Chocolate Buttercream Cake & Buttercream Icing (page 194-196)
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...