Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What I’m Lovin’ Wednesday: Etched Glass

I have seen similar tutorials all over blogland and pinterest, but I finally decided to try it out for myself.  In the south, there are A LOT, no, A TON, of occasions when people bring food (new babies, deaths, life’s storms, etc).  It’s just a way to let others know that you love them and you’re thinking about them.  I always bring my famous chicken pot pie (I’m not sure I’ve shared that recipe with you yet, but I definitely need to).  I have about 7 pie dishes because I’m constantly giving them out filled with yummies.  These dishes get cooked and washed so many times that I thought this would be a great way to keep our name on the dish, since the permanent marker keeps rubbing off.

All you need is some Armour Etch, a paint brush, stencils, and a dish.  The Armour Etch was a little pricey, I thought.  This little bottle was $8.99 but it will go a long way  and last a long time.  I purchased some reusable vinyl stencils and they were fantastic (both products were from Hobby Lobby).  DSC_0343
First thing you do is wash and dry the dish (make sure it is completely dry).  Add the stencils in whatever shape you want. DSC_0363
Then brush on the Armour Etch and wait 5 minutes.  I kind of just globbed mine on there. lol Then wash it off. DSC_0364
THAT IS IT!  I’m not sure if there is another craft easier than this one.  So far the etching has stayed on and in place.  Phil and I have even tried scratching it off pretty aggressively…..it’s not going anywhere and now my dishes are personalized.  You know I love that lolDSC_0365
I was thinking that this would be an awesome idea for a bridal shower or wedding gift.  It would also be great as a housewarming gift, don’t you think?DSC_0368
Since it was so easy for me, I’m sure that you can do this too, now go and get to etching :-)

19 comments:

Meg O. said...

That is so cool!!! I wanna etch all of my casserole dishes and Pyrex now!! Haha

My Life as A Plate said...

This came out amazing!! I love this idea. Also a great way to keep track of your dishes hahah.

Lindsay said...

Oh, the possibilities are endless! I love this idea!

sherri lynn said...

This is such a good idea! I might have to do this with some of my pyrex casserole dishes :)

sarah@totalbassetcase.com said...

So, so fun! Yes there are so many options with this! I also love the idea of you two trying to 'aggressively' scratch it off, ha!

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

THat's really neat & way better than a sticker label to make sure they get returned to you.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

what a great idea....and easy to make too! thanks for the tutorial!

Emmalee said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I'm a brand new follower & I love your blog!

Everydayemmalee.blogspot.com
~Emmalee~

Susan Fleming said...

I love this idea very much personalize glasses and all kinds of items great!!!

Crystal said...

Oh I love this! I have been wanting to try glass etching for a while , but I have been hesitant. I didn't want to spend that amount on the etching cream and never use it because it ended up being too difficult. I also have only seen tutorials that use a silhouette for the stencils. I never thought of buying the vinyl stencils! After readIng this post, I no longer have any reasons it to try it! I can't wait! :) thanks so much for sharing! :-)

Suzy @ Joy Is At Home said...

ok WHERE on earth in hobby lobby did you find the etching cream?! I have been looking for it for literally like a year! I even went to walmart because they said online that they had it! What section is it in?

brooke, selina, and peyton said...

My maiden name is Hawley, which brought me to your site. Very cool. I'm going to get etching this weekend!

Leisha said...

Love this!
I've made several different things with stencils I cut from my Silhouette and it IS surprisingly easy!!

Amy said...

WOW! Seriously? It's that easy?! It looks fabulous...thanks so much for sharing at Shine on Fridays this week!

shopannies said...

love this what an awesome idea for church potlucks and the such great way to ID your casserole dishes come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Laura from Top This Top That said...

what a great idea. I imagine to getting your dishes back this would make a super gift. thanks for sharing.
laura

Domesticable said...

WOW! How did I miss this idea?!? I think this is brilliant and I will be doing this STAT!!!

Lura
x

DaisyGirl said...

I missed this somewhere along the way but I'm certainly going to give this a try!!!

Milliscent Morgan said...

Thanks for allowing me here to give my reaction. Any way all I can say about this blog of etched glass is one of the best blog I visited. Keep on posting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover