Monday, February 20, 2012

Gallery Wall

Morning and happy Monday!  Time just keeps on ticking, doesn’t it!?  I feel like an old lady when I catch myself saying things like this, but seriously every year keeps moving faster than the last.  Anyone else feel this way?

Ok anyways, enough with the old lady talk.  Last November I completed this project but have yet to post about it (see time IS literally slipping through my fingers).  Phil was out of town for Thanksgiving so I filled my time with projects to distract myself- you can catch up about that weekend here.  One of the projects I did was to make a Gallery Wall in the dining room.  Since we moved here, 4 years ago, this wall has been a d├ęcor mystery.  This mystery was conquered when I saw several pictures of gallery walls floating around on pinterest (here are some pictures that inspired me).

After getting some frames from Hobby Lobby (of course Ha!), I began transforming the wall.  I started on the floor, playing around with the arrangement of the frames until I settled on a format that I wanted.  I think it’s much faster doing the rearranging on the floor rather than putting a million holes in the wall lolDSC_0759
I like the look of various styles of frames, and things not matching. They are all a dark espresso brown, so they match color wise, but style and shape they are all different. I think it’s a bit shabby chic lolDSC_0949DSC_0951DSC_0952In addition to the frames, I also purchased a key, a mirror and an “H’.  I also found this sign and love having it in the middle; it’s a great memory of course for us, but more importantly it’s a great piece for our guests to know that the Hawley house is Christ-centered.DSC_0950
I took post-it notes and stuck them to the frames to make sure that I was certain I liked the look and what pictures I had planned on putting in the frames.  Then I got out a hammer and some nails :-)DSC_0762
Ta Da!!!!DSC_0945
So far I’m loving this gallery wall; I think it’s a great way to display various aspects of our family.
DSC_0946
What do you think? Do you have a gallery wall in your home? What tricks do you have for your gallery walls?

17 comments:

Meggan of Lila Grace said...

You read my mind! On my project list for next week is a gallery wall! I have been dying to do one in my living room but have been too intimidated to try the project. yours looks so great! Love the different frames!

tara said...

i love it! i really want to do one!

sarah@totalbassetcase.com said...

Love it! I have a slight gallery wall obsession. I have toned down ours to only 2 in the house...and Im currently fighting the urge to have more

Simply Kelly Blog said...

This looks great Darby! I've been trying to figure out a layout for a Gallery Wall for a while now. Love the mix and match of items you used. ~Kelly

Recently Roached said...

Love it! :) I'm in the process of putting a gallery wall up in our new apt! Yours is great!

Becca Christensen said...

I think it looks great! I don't have one yet, but you just gave me the perfect idea for where I could do one! Thanks. : ]

Kristin said...

I'm thinking of doing a gallery wall in our new house...and I love this idea! I like how you added the mirror and your initial and I LOVE that key! :)

Ashley said...

Looks great!!! I am still working on mine (its not even hanging yet)

I am a new follower!!(on pinterest and twitter too (@lifeasiknow09))

Feel free to stop by and say hello!!

An Irish Italian Blessing said...

LOVE it!! I do have a gallery wall and I arranged them on the floor and took pictures of the arrangment so I could remember how to hang them :) I still have extra holes in my wall though, maybe I'll do better next time.

sherri lynn said...

Your wall looks so good! I like that you have all different frames - it looks good! And I also really love that plaque about Christ being at every dinner and listening to every conversation... such a good reminder!

Eliza said...

This looks great! I have one but I would've never thought to add other elements like the key and the letter.

momto8 said...

just perfect!! we have a gallery wall in our living room..people are naturally drawn to it!!

ms.composure said...

Stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show yous some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :)def VERY VERY cute!

http://infinitelifefintess.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Kennedy Soper said...

Looks great Darby!!!! We just put up a new picture wall in our newly painted bedroom! I just love it, really represents us! And I have the same gold "S" from hobby lobby on my wall as well:-)

Kennedy Soper said...

Looks great Darby!!!! We just put up a new picture wall in our newly painted bedroom! I just love it, really represents us! And I have the same gold "S" from hobby lobby on my wall as well:-)

Crystal said...

I LOVE it, Darby!!! I love the idea of arranging them on the floor first! That is so much faster and easier than the idea to cut out shapes in brown paper that I have seen and definitely easier than nailing holes in the wall first(which is what I did... I am still working on that, btw.. Might need to start over and try your idea :)). I also love I the elements that reflect y'all like the key and Christ plaque. Awesome job!!! :))

J and A said...

Lovely! Turned out great! We have one and I adore it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover