Monday, January 22, 2018

Snowball Counting

I cannot believe that I even get to write this, but it has SNOWED here in Houston TWICE this winter!  I do not understand that at all but I will gladly take it. There is nothing better than an unexpected snow day to make me ridiculously giddy. (I've recorded it on my phone to replay for my sanity in August when I can't stop sweating).  Here is a fun and easy way that we incorporated the snow into our schooling.Snowball Counting- Life with the HawleysHawley Homeschool

Dutch got this Mickey felt board (from Michael's) and these felt numbers for Christmas and it was the perfect background to use, but honestly you could easily use paper numbers or a marker & construction paper for this activity.  The idea is to provide the child with a number (either with felt or writing it) and they count out the "snow" (cotton balls).  You can start with simple number recognition, and move onto counting, and even comparisons (more versus less).  For example, I gave the male characters a number & the female characters a number. Dutch then had to count out snowballs for each and then tell me who "won" the snowball fight with the most snow.  I can't tell you how much fun he had with this task.  It also gave us an opportunity to talk about the seasons and the corresponding weather patterns of each season.  Try it out and let me know what your toddler thinks.  Happy Snow Days! :-)DSC_0217DSC_0219DSC_0224DSC_0267

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...