Monday, December 18, 2017

First Snow Day

A couple Fridays ago, Houston had a big snow.  Now when I say "big snow" remember that I live in Houston and "big snow" is very geographically relative.  We've had 2 other dustings since we've been in Houston (10 years), so this was kind of a big deal.  Thursday night I kept seeing friends around Texas posting on Facebook that they were seeing snow.  Those friends kept getting closer & closer to Houston so I was hoping that we would get to see some too.  The Mr. went to bed around 11 and I started staring out the window, like a little kid waiting for snow to cancel school.  With the first flake of snow I was out the door.  Not going to lie, I shed a couple tears.  There is something so magical about snow, and being someone who loves snow but has not seen it in a long time, getting to experience the quiet majestic snow was breath taking.  Of course I woke up my husband but he was not impressed considering it was a flake here & a flake there, so he went back to bed.  I continued to check outside every 15 minutes until I fell asleep on the couch.  When my husband got up for work around 4, he woke me up and said "It snowed!" I have not gotten off the couch that fast in a long time.  There was a blanket, a very thin blanket, of snow on the ground and the entire city was silent.  It was beautiful!

I could barely wait for the kids to get up so that they could see their first snow.  When they got up at 8, we got dressed and ran outside to play.  They were a little skeptical at first, but loved to play in it.  I think Dutch has been waiting his entire life to throw a snowball lol  They played outside for about an hour before telling me that "snow is cold mama"  We came in and had school.  I had a lesson planned for January about snow, so I quickly moved that up so that we could actually see snow for our snow lesson.

It was a magical snow day.  One that left a brilliant memory in my mind.  I loved getting to see their faces experience snow for the first time.DSC_0138-2DSC_0140DSC_0143DSC_0149DSC_0156DSC_0157DSC_0158DSC_0161DSC_0165DSC_0171DSC_0172DSC_0183DSC_0197DSC_0204DSC_0211DSC_0213DSC_0228DSC_0229DSC_0231DSC_0233DSC_0234

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...