Monday, October 18, 2010

The Newest Grub

Last week was a little crazy with my dad flying out mid-week so I didn’t get very many new recipes cooked, but here are some from the previous week. All of these new recipes were from the latest cookbook for my Cookbook Club. Notice how many of these meals contained spinach!

Whole-Wheat Pasta Salad with Walnuts & Feta Cheese and Toasted Pita & Herb Salad- Phil & I both loved this pasta salad; the ingredients mingled together so well! I used wheat penne pasta & EVOO for the dressing. Because this pasta salad isn’t creamy, it would probably be perfect for a picnic, BBQ, or any other hot outside event. For the herb salad, I used spinach instead of romaine, doubled the scallions, & omitted the mint. L.O.V.E. Wrap Sandwich and Tomato & Red Onion Salad- I loved this fresh & filling meal. For the L.O.V.E. sandwich I used left-over whole-wheat pitas from the Toasted Pita & Herb Salad, omitted the red pepper, & substituted spinach for the romaine lettuce. I think I probably cut my red onion slices a little too thick, so next time I will most likely chop them. The Tomato & Red Onion Salad was great, but would have been even better if it was a complete caprese salad with some mozzarella (but I guess that would have added a lot more calories). I think using fresh basil really made this salad awesome. Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach & Couscous- For the couscous I used a tri-color mix which had hints of spinach (yes, more spinach) & paprika. I added the entire can of tomatoes & about 10 oz of spinach. We really liked the Mediterranean flare of this dish. Pumpkin Pie Muffins- These muffins didn’t taste like they were low-fat at all; they were pretty good with my morning coffee. These were not my favorite pumpkins though, so I will probably stick with my own recipe on this one.For those of you who are just as obsessed with cooking as I am, & for those of you that fell in love with the PW, I just wanted to share this with you. I read the article about Christy Jordan in Southern Living a couple weeks ago & have been all over her website, SouthernPlate.com. Jordan’s style is a lot like PW in her southern cooking and blogging. Her book went on sale 10/6 & she will be in Houston for a book tour on 10/25. You can preview the book or check out the recipes from her website. Here is a link that has a quick video introduction to Jordan at the bottom, as well as a way to purchase the book. If you loved the PW, I have a feeling you’re going to want this cookbook too. I pre-ordered my copy & I can’t wait to try out this cookbook! And of course, I will be sure to let you know way more than you ever wanted to know about it :-)
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...