Sunday, March 7, 2010

Keep'n it Real

Just in case you thought that I had everything together, I wanted to prove you wrong with a look at my filthy kitchen. This is what it looks like when I cook…..Even obsessively-compulsive perfectionists make big messes when they cook :-)

There is a section of the PW’s cookbook where she takes pictures of her kitchen to prove how she is “keep’n it real”. A couple weeks ago I finally worked up enough nerve to email the PW a suggestion for her blog. I think it would be fun for people to post pictures of their “real” kitchens. Phil says that it would be really easy to stage that, which is true, but I still think it would be funny, don’t you?

We had a great weekend; I got a lot of writing done and Phil helped a family from church move. I think helping people move must be one of his spiritual gifts. I have been working really hard on this next manuscript deadline so instead of cooking Phil took me on a couple dates this weekend so we could relax and just be together. He is a wonderful husband!

My cast iron skillet skills are improving. I have been using my skillet more and more and I’m getting much more comfortable with it. For the longest time I was just too scared to try it- which I know is ludicrous- so I have been using it for practically everything now and I am starting to love it! Here are a few of the PW dishes I made this week:

PW Potato skins- I had never tasted, let alone cooked potato skins before, so this was a tasty first. Olive Cheese Bread- I made this as a snack for our Wednesday night bible study and before I make this again I would make a couple alterations to the recipe. One of the PW's variations suggests parmesan cheese but I would definitely stick with the Monterey Jack cheese. “Olive” being in the title would suggest that the main ingredient is olives, but there are just way too many and coming from a person who loves olives I think that says a lot. However, I will say that this is a really easy snack to whip-up really quickly before you have company over. PW Monkey Bread- I got this recipe off of the PW’s website and I would never be able to forgive myself if I didn’t pass it along to you. I had heard of Monkey Bread before (because Phil has been asking for it) but I had never actually had it before; honestly, I don’t know how I lived before discovering Monkey Bread! I love the fact that the majority of the “cooking” is done in a ziplock baggie; no dishes! I think I might add chopped pecans next time, what do you think? If you have little monkeys running around your house, this will definitely bring a smile to their faces! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/05/monkey-bread/

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...