Friday, June 15, 2018

Summer Squash Soup

As soon as I sat down to eat this for dinner, within the first bite, I knew that I had to write this down for you.  This soup has a little bit of nostalgia attached to it since my mom used to make a soup similar to this one when I was younger; I loved this soup when I was growing up.  I've made this soup for my family several times, but I put a few more tweaks on this last "edition" and I think this is just right and ready to share :-) I promise y'all on Instagram that I would share this, and I here it is! Summer Squash Soup- Life with the HawleysFrom the Kitchen of Darby Hawley

Ingredients:
This soup makes enough for a little over 2 large bowls, which is perfect if you don't like leftovers, like me.
1 tbs coconut oil
3/4 cup white onion, diced
4 medium yellow summer squash
3 small potatoes, chopped
1 carrot, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika (optional: smoked paprika)
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup white wine (I've used both Pinot Grigio & Sauvignon Blanc)
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk, plus extra for topping
sea salt, to taste (optional, though I never use it for this soup)
cilantro, for topping
1 lb spicy chorizo, for topping (optional)
french bread, for dunking ;-)
DSC_0203Directions:
1. In a stock pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat, then add onions.  Cook the onions until they are soft, 4-5 minutes.  Stir in the squash, potato, & carrots and cook until they soften, probably another 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the garlic, and let it cook for about a minute and then add in all of the other spices.  Cook for another minute, and then add in the wine.  Make sure you scrap down anything on the sides of the pot.  After a couple minutes, add the broth (chicken or vegetable).  Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook until all of the vegetables are tender (10-15 minutes).
3. Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetables into a soup.  Add in the coconut milk and continue to heat the soup.  Taste the soup to see if you need any salt; add as needed.
4. For serving, top your soup with a drizzle of coconut milk, cilantro, cooked spicy chorizo, and a slice of bread.
5. Enjoy!DSC_0212

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...