Friday, April 13, 2018

They Were Good Shoes

We’ve been working on our home with a bunch of DIY projects lately, and one evening The Mr. and I were working on hanging a new door to the bathroom.  Dutch & Ellis were playing with their flashlights in our closet. As I was holding the bathroom door as still as I could, and that thing was heavy, Dutch pulled on my shirt and asked, “Mama, are these your shoes?!”They Were Good Shoes- Life with the Hawleys
The way he asked me that question I just had to laugh (and try not to drop the door).  I told him that they were in fact my shoes, but his expression was hilarious; a combination of shocked and complete disbelief.  The shoes he was holding onto was a pair your standard black leather pumps.  Nothing fancy, but I know that he has NEVER seen me wear those shoes, or any other shoes like it.

He didn’t believe me, and asked me to try them on. 
I put them on.
He still didn’t believe me.  He said, “let me see you walk in them, Mama”.
I walked up and down the hallway. 
He said, “Again.”
I walked up and down the hallway, again.
He about died laughing.

When he stopped laughing at me, which I’m sure I need to start getting used to, he said, “those are good shoes mama”.  I looked at him, smiled, and replied, “You’re right.  These are good shoes.”

For the rest of the evening I kept thinking about that little conversation I had with him and my shoes.  The shoes are just stilettos; I don’t wear shoes like that anymore.  I have always loved heels (or as I called them as a child “hee-highles”), but the phase of life I am in right now does not call for heels.  In fact, if I tried to wear heels right now, I would laugh at myself just like Dutch did.  I donated all of my heels after having Ellis because I knew that I wouldn’t need them (And no, I’m not going to tell you the number of shoes I donated.  Just know, that I’m embarrassed).  I kept this pair of heels for the same reason every southern gal does....in case of a funeral. 

With the exception of the cobwebs, these shoes are still in great condition.  But honestly I don’t miss them at all.  I don’t miss the environment I needed heels for on a daily basis, but I’m so grateful for those days.  So after Dutch went to bed, I dusted the shoes off and put them back in my closet on a far shelf to collect some more dust, because,

these are good shoes.  These were good shoes. 
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...