Friday, June 3, 2011

Celebration Biscuits

My hubby has had an exhausting semester juggling work and post-bac classes, but when he got his report of a promotion at work and all A’s, it was time for a celebration dinner. I told Phil that I would cook whatever he wanted and he requested a super southern meal (full of starches and carbs- thank goodness the end of the semester is only twice a year). I made Christy Jordan’s Southern Plate fried chicken with white gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, and these delicious biscuits. The biscuits were super simple and fast to make (even though I had some serious doubts that I could make them in 30 minutes). In fact, they were so yummy that I have share this recipe with you.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1.2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Directions:

  1. Adjust oven rack to upper position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until dough forms (about 30 seconds).  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gather into a ball.  Briefly knead dough until smooth (about 30 seconds).   Remember to take off your rings before doing this step, or else you will have dough all in your diamonds ;-)
  3. Pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle, and use a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter to cut biscuits.  Place biscuits on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. and bake until golden (about 15 minutes). Recipe from The Best 30-Minute Recipe from Cooks Illustrated (2010)

I didn’t get the 8 biscuits that were expected, but I was ok with that since I would have eaten every single one. I will make these again not only for dinner, but also for special breakfasts with white gravy and sausage.  Yummmmmmm!DSC04910

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...