Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What I’m Lovin’ Wednesday: Wings & Things

To be honest…I don’t love wings.  I don’t even like them.
I loathe them.
Eating foods with my fingers where gross sauce could get stuck under my nails is the worst.  Please tell me I’m not the only one who hates to eat messy food.
While I hate messy food, there are always exceptions. 
Here is an exception….I love the flavor of wings so I eat these guys with a fork.  Yes I’m the weirdo eating chicken wings with a fork.

I made these last year for our Superbowl party and promised the recipe.  I figured a year of suspense is long enough, right? #epicbloggerfail
From the Kitchen of Darby Hawley
Ingredients:
3 lbs chicken wing drummies (I buy the generic store brand of frozen wings)
canola oil (this works best for the high heat you will be using)
2 sticks butter
12 oz bottle Frank's Red Hot
Tabasco sauce

Directions:
  1. Cover the bottom of a deep skillet with 1 ½ inches of canola oil, and heat over medium/high. Rinse your drummies (also make sure they are thawed out if you purchased frozen wings.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Once the oil is hot, gently place your drummies in the skillet. To keep yourself from being overwhelmed, work in manageable batches of drummies.  Keep them moving with a pair of tongs so that they don’t stick to the bottom of the skillet.
  4. In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and then add your Frank’s sauce.  Stir the mixture until incorporated and then shake in 10-15 drops of Tobasco (base this on your own preferences).
  5. When the drummies have cooked for about 18-20 minutes, remove the drummies and drain the grease on a paper towel.  Once you’ve cooked all of your batches of drummies and the grease has drained  put the drummies into a 9 x 13 pyrex dish.  Pour the hot sauce over the drummies and stir the wings until they are all covered. 
  6. Allow drummies to cook in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring the wings half-way through to make sure they are well coated with the sauce.
Wings Collage 1DSC_0625-2

Ok and now for the “things” part of this post.  You didn’t think I was going to forget that did you?  Every Superbowl party needs dip!  It’s part of the football cheering section.  It's as if no one can cheer without one hand assuming the official dipping position.

Ingredients:
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix
4 oz. crumbled blue cheese (optional)
omit dieting anxiety

Directions:
  1. Combine mayo and sour cream.
  2. In a separate bowl whisk together milk and ranch mix.  Once incorporated, pour over the mayo mixture and stir to combine. Now you’re done!!!!!!  Simply cover and refrigerate for 2 hours and you’re ready to get dipping.
  3. If you also want the option of blue cheese dipping sauce, before putting the ranch dip in the fridge, separate the dip into two equal parts.  Pour in 4 oz of crumbled blue cheese into one of the dips .  Cover and refrigerate both for 2 hours.
Wings Collage 2
Did you hear that?! My Lord! My stomach just grumbled so loudly!  I can’t wait to have these wings on Sunday.  Who’s with me?!
Yum-O!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...