Wednesday, January 2, 2013
What I’m Lovin’ Wednesay: Monkey Bread
I really wish I could take credit for this recipe, but alas I cannot. This is my version of Monkey Bread, adapted from the amazing PW. This is a recipe we should save for special occasions because of the caloric count……but we don’t! It’s just too good to reserve for special days. I hope you get to try this recipe soon, because it is fantastic!
3 cans buttermilk biscuits (the non-flaky ones)..generic brands work fine
1 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks butter
½ cups brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Quarter the biscuits.
3. Combine the white sugar with cinnamon in a gallon zip bag and shake to mix evenly. (3 tsp of cinnamon gives it a fairly strong cinnamon flavor. If you’re not so hot on cinnamon, cut it back to 2 tsp.)
4. Drop all of the biscuit quarters into the cinnamon-sugar mix and shake vigorously. This will get all those pieces unstuck from one another and nicely coated with cinnamon-sugar. Spread these nuggets out evenly into a bundt pan.
5. Melt butter together with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. This can be light or dark brown sugar. Cook butter/sugar mixture, stirring for a few minutes until the two become one. Once the brown sugar butter has become one color, you can pour it over the biscuits.
6. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the crust is a deep dark brown on top. When it’s finished cooking, remove it from the oven. If you have the willpower, allow it to cook for about 15-30 minutes before turning it over onto a plate.
7. No need to be fancy, just get your fingers dirty and start pulling the nuggets apart. You wont regret it!