Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What I’m Lovin’ Wednesay: Monkey Bread

From the Kitchen of Darby Hawley
DSC_0294-2
I really wish I could take credit for this recipe, but alas I cannot.  This is my version of Monkey Bread, adapted from the amazing PW.  This is a recipe we should save for special occasions because of the caloric count……but we don’t!  It’s just too good to reserve for special days.  I hope you get to try this recipe soon, because it is fantastic!

Ingredients:
3 cans buttermilk biscuits (the non-flaky ones)..generic brands work fine
1 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks butter
½ cups brown sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Quarter the biscuits.
3. Combine the white sugar with cinnamon in a gallon zip bag and shake to mix evenly. (3 tsp of cinnamon gives it a fairly strong cinnamon flavor. If you’re not so hot on cinnamon, cut it back to 2 tsp.)
4. Drop all of the biscuit quarters into the cinnamon-sugar mix and shake vigorously. This will get all those pieces unstuck from one another and nicely coated with cinnamon-sugar. Spread these nuggets out evenly into a bundt pan.
5. Melt butter together with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. This can be light or dark brown sugar. Cook butter/sugar mixture, stirring for a few minutes until the two become one. Once the brown sugar butter has become one color, you can pour it over the biscuits.
6. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the crust is a deep dark brown on top. When it’s finished cooking, remove it from the oven. If you have the willpower, allow it to cook for about 15-30 minutes before turning it over onto a plate.
7. No need to be fancy, just get your fingers dirty and start pulling the nuggets apart.  You wont regret it!

11 comments:

Meg Cady said...

IM OBSESSED WITH MONKEY BREAD.
OBSESSED.

oh and Happy 5 year anniversary I have been a little MIA!!!

Joy said...

Have mercy! That looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for making me hungry this morning Darbs!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

I've been wanting some for the last week, and this post is NOT helping! ;)

Whitney said...

Feel free to send sone to work with Phil next time you make some!

Lindsey said...

This looks delicious! I love yummy breakfast dishes! I tried out a new Pinterest recipe for cream cheese filled monkey bread over Christmas. SO YUMMY too!

Miss MP said...

I had not idea it was so easy-- will have to try this weekend and break my "eat only healthy" resolution :-).

Irish Italian Blessings said...

Ok I've never heard of Monkey Bread and honestly, I'm a little upset about that! This looks crazy delish.

Sarah said...

SO gooood! I made monkey bread for Christmas morning and ate my fair share of it too.

Justin and Marcie said...

This comment isn't about the monkey bread, although it looks DELICIOUS and I am suddendly hungry now. But instead, about what you did for Joy. I follow her blog and saw the bracelet you had made for her. It is such a blessing that there are people out there like you that take time to invest in people when they need it, even if you don't know them. God used you to ease her pain. To Joy, you acted as one of God's angels, even though you've never met her. I'm just so glad there are people like you. Just wanted to comment and tell you that you are an inspiration!

Erin Reissig said...

I'm drooling. My mom gave me pans for Christmas this year because I mentioned that I didn't have anything to make monkey bread in. lol

Jessica K said...

I am following JustinandMarcie apparently!!

First off - I think what you did for Joy is amazing! It is a beautiful bracelet! I would love to know where you had it made?

Also, I came over and got a little lost looking around your blog. I saw you are in Houston - I'm in the Woodlands. I love the Woodlands, but actually despise Houston. I am glad you love it here, just a little surprised. I would like to think you fell in love with the country of Texas and not the yucky city of Houston!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover