Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What I’m Lovin’ Wednesday: Vintage Pin Curls

There is a reason that vintage pin curls are still popular….they’re effective and awesome!  Pin curls are fantastic because they’re fast, easy, and don’t require heat (i.e. healthy option for your luscious locks).  With the holidays here, I know you’ve got your planners filled with parties and family get-togethers, and you need something to do with your hair super fast.

While I was getting ready for Thanksgiving this year I decided to snap a few shots to show you how to use pin curls for your own hair.  (To be honest I’m a little nervous to be posting some of these pictures, especially with my hair undone, so please pardon that lol)

Hair products I use, (left to right): hairspray, volumizing mousse, & volumizing spray (it’s Texas- I’ve got to have big hair)DSC_0835
When I first get out of the shower, I comb my hair and use a tennis ball sized amount of volumizing mousse.DSC_0826
Then I dry my hair upside down with a round brush, moving root to tip.  This is my everyday hair-do.  DSC_0839
For the pinning, you want to get some hair pins and a spray bottle of water.  You don't want to use bobby pins because they will leave weird little bumps in your hair.DSC_0830
Take small pieces of hair and wrap it around your fingers.  The smaller clump of hair you take, the tighter the curl will be; the larger the clump, the more wavy it will be.  Make sure to comb through each clump of hair before wrapping it around your fingers.DSC_0845
Once you’ve wrapped the clump of hair around your fingers, pin the clump to your head.DSC_0847DSC_0848
Keep going around your head, until you’ve pinned all of your hair up.  Then lightly spray, or mist rather, each curl with water.  Then wait for each curl to dry COMPLETELY.  At this point I went & made deviled eggs for Thanksgiving.  If this was a normal day I would have gotten dressed and done my makeup while the curls dried.  If you’re in a rush though, you can hit those curls with your hair dryer to really speed things along.DSC_0852DSC_0857
When every curl is completely dry & you take the pins out, this is what your hair will look like:DSC_0871DSC_0872
To make it more natural, run your fingers through the curls.  Don't use a brush/comb because it will get out of control (I promise; I’ve learned this the hard way.)  Then shoot your locks with your favorite moving hairspray.DSC_0875DSC_0876DSC_0882
Easy, right?  I love this method of curling my hair!  It’s so effective and the curls hold all day.  So if you’re wondering what to do with your hair this holiday season, or even just want to dress-up a regular day, try these awesome & classic pin curls :-)
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...