Friday, November 18, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

Since getting my new camera, I’ve been reading a lot of websites and books and taking my Nikon class in my “free time” to get acquainted with my new toy.  Am I a photographer? No way!  But photography is something that I have always enjoyed and I wanted to further develop my skills.  Will I ever be professional? Absolutely not, nor is it something that I aspire to be.   I’m just a simple gal with a hobby in photography. 

A couple weekends ago, the Mr took me around Houston so that I could practice.  I was really interested in practicing on my weak areas: lighting and angles.  Since it has been a while since I’ve shown you some progress pictures, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite pictures I took that weekend. Again, none of these pictures have been edited so that I can monitor how familiar I am getting with my new camera.
DSC_0111
Things are finally starting to look alive in Houston…just in time for fall lolDSC_0249DSC_0214DSC_0215DSC_0308That’s Phil and Tomlin in the background.DSC_0222
I may be reading a bit much into this picture, but I feel like it’s definitely a metaphor for my life these days.  The Houston Medical Center, where I work, is in the background, but the focus is on the Mr :-)DSC_0237Stumbled upon a beautiful butterfly :-)DSC_0265DSC_0335DSC_0317Tomlin is getting pretty good with being my go-to model.  When I say “smile,” she looks right at the camera.  lolDSC_0301DSC_0359DSC_0383Those birds looked so peaceful & happy until Tomlin came along.  At least it gave me plenty of opportunities to work with “action” shots. Ha!DSC_0411DSC_0373 This church will always hold a special place in my heart.  Maybe I’ll share that story with y’all some day.DSC_0424
I feel like I’m getting more confident and imagining the picture better, but I definitely still have TONS to learn!

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

OH my goodness, your pictures are beautiful! I may have to learn a few things from YOU. :) Great job!

sherri lynn said...

Darby your pictures are AMAZING! My favorites are the one of the butterfly (so crisp!) and the one with the bench and Phil and Tomlin in the background. Love that angle! I'd say you're doing great! :)

Danie said...

They're all gorgeous girl! But you know, Tomlin just makes the cutest darn model ;)! I love the bird shot lol!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Oh wow the pictures are great.....your camera skills are impeccable..the butterfly one is gorgeous...

Joy said...

You just might be a professional!!! I LOVE all the pictures and of course those of Tomlin are my favorite! But, you already knew that! The butterfly one is AMAZING!!! Keep up the good work missy!!!

Erin R said...

Hehehe! I love the bird shot!

An Irish Italian Blessing said...

These shots are FABULOUS! You're incredible. You've totally motivated me to try a little harder :)

Tamara Nicole said...

Congrats on the camera! We love our SLR and use it allll the time:-) Enjoy! Great pics.

Morgan said...

Darby, your pictures are wonderful! My favs are the one with Phil walking Tomlin and the butterfly one. If you need practice photographing young children and babies, Caleb and Aubrey are available for modeling gigs! :-)

Emily said...

Stopping by from the htown bloggers - you have a great eye for photography!

sarah@totalbassetcase.com said...

Great photos! Im *hoping* to get a new camera on Black Friday but we will see what happens!

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

What great photos! Happy Thanksgiving!

Amanda said...

Awesome pictures! The butterfly and the one of your hubby and the dog/bench are my favs! Found you through Cyndi Spivey's blog!

Look forward to visiting again!
Amanda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover