Friday, October 5, 2012

Puppy Update

I am a BAD puppy mom!  I don’t even remember the last update I did on the pups!
Tisk tisk!!!
I guess I will try to fill you in on everything (that I can remember).  Now I know this is going to sound like a parent talking about their child, but hey, these ARE my kids and this blog is where I document stuff.

This summer was the first summer with both pups and you can bet we had a blast.  Aside from the 28-hour road trip we took with the dogs (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5) we did manage to squeeze in a few more things.

Stats as of now, Tomlin is 20 months old and weighs 43 lbs and Rooney is 10 months and weighs 56lbs!!!  Tomlin looks like a little dog next to Rooney now! I can't believe we've got his first birthday right around the corner!
                                                                     Tomlin
DSC_0336
Rooney still has that dopey puppy walk and is clumsy, but he is looking less and less puppy-like.  He can keep up with Tomlin a little more at the dog park, and he sleeps a lot less now.
RooneyDSC_0335
When we got back from our road trip, Rooney got his first ear infection and we noticed that he started getting puppy acne.  They call it acne, but it isn’t really pimples, just small tumors that surface and go away after a couple weeks. They are pretty common in labs for the first two years.  Tomlin had some on her right leg when she was smaller.  Rooney gets them under his chin, and I’m probably the only person in the world that finds them cute; I’m okay with that.
Rooney (left) and Tomlin (right)DSC_0276
Tomlin scared us a few weeks ago.  It was a Wednesday night/early Thursday morning about 3am, when Phil woke up to take Rooney out (Rooney sits on hubby’s face when he needs to go outside.  I find this hilarious, but the first time he does it to me, then it wont be funny anymore) and Tomlin was on the floor.  This was the first thing that we noticed wrong: Tomlin, the diva, does NOT sleep on the floor.  She couldn’t use her front right leg at all.  I was certain, 100% it was broken and still had no idea how it happened.  The Mr said we should wait it out to see if it was really broken, because we really didn’t want to pay for a vet visit if it wasn’t anything.  I was overly nervous about this, but she was sitting still (and I stayed home with her), and no bones were sticking out or anything, so I agreed to wait, but you can bet I was watching her like a hawk.  She didn’t move it or put weight on it at all; she wouldn’t even stand to eat.  We live on the third floor so we had to carry her up and down the stairs for her “business time”.  Then on Sunday night at dinner I suggested to Phil that we take her in to the vet on Monday.  Then just as we made that decision, she put a little weight on it to eat her dinner (good timing pup!). She was still hoping around on 3 legs, but we decided to wait a little longer.  We restricted her movement and carried her when needed and after about 2 weeks she started using her foot with a little limp.  After 3 weeks, she was using it again and we started with slow walks and then a month later we took her back to the park.  Again I have no idea what happened to her, but I’m glad we didn’t take her when it was probably just a sprain that needed to just heal (good call hubby).
Tomlin, the guard dogDSC_0143
Speaking of dog parks, the first time we took Tomlin back to the park, I was the one to get their booty kicked. LITERALLY!  I had my back to the parking lot and was watching the dogs play, when someone pulled up and let their dog out of their car.  The dog (about 85 lbs) came barreling into the park and ran into the back of my legs.  My feet flew into the air over my head and I landed with a big thud on my lower back (upper boo-tay).  I jammed my wrists, got a couple blood blisters on my hands and scratched up my feet.  That dog was seriously excited to go play with her buddy Tomlin and she was not going to have anyone in her way lol
Here is the proof that our dogs were born Steeler fans!  LOLDSC_0008
Rooney’s favorite thing right now is to sit outside of the bathroom and wait for a single square of toilet paper to be slipped under the door to play with.  This fascinates him for hours!
Tomlin STILL does not like to share her toys. DSC_0153
But she does want YOU share your food ;-) DSC_0303
Tomlin still loves to “help” me make the bed.  She likes to jump up on the bed when I parachute the comforter up; she then sits very still as if I can’t see her.  It’s hilarious!  I’ve got to get this one video for you someday.
Tomlin HATES the vacuum.  She follows us around barking at it and trying to bite the hose.DSC_0439
Rooney loves him some poptart boxes lolDSC_0440
Tricks?  I think Rooney is a little slower than Tomlin on the tricks, but he is catching up.  Tomlin can “Sit”, “Stay”, “Shake”, “High 5”, “High 10”, “Dance”, “Down”, “Turn left”, “Pray”, and “Find Daddy”.  Rooney can “Sit”, “Stay”, “Shake”, and “Turn left”  We’ve got them doing most of their tricks in unison, again this is something that I realize I need to get recorded for you.
These two absolutely love each other.  It is so funny to watch them play.  When one isn’t home, the other sits by the door and cries the entire time.  They’re the “bestest” of friends.”DSC_0477
“Lady, please stop taking my picture and just get me some food. Sheesh!”DSC_0515
Other firsts this summer?  In April the pups stayed with Mrs Becky while we went home for a wedding, and in August they stayed with Miss Shelly while we had a little getaway weekend.  They loved it and I think they wanted to move in with these lovely ladies!
This picture is from early in the summer when they were about the same size, when Rooney finally learned to “sit” DSC_0556DSC_0586
We have switched their food.  They were on an all organic chicken and rice diet, but are now on organic lamb and rice.  We’ve stopped puppy food completely and moved to "all ages", but they still eat better than we do I think.
Lil ‘T after her first trip back at the dog park after she hurt her wrist.  She was snoring so loud we had to turn the TV up to hear.  Her little tongue sticking out is so cute!DSC_0627
Now we are all ready to bring in the fall!  This was Tomlin on the opening game of the season.  She was ready!tmp_share
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...