Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Surprise Door Number 2

September 1, 2007 I had the surprise of a lifetime, when I opened my front door and found my future husband kneeling on one knee with a ring and a proposal. This past Saturday I opened our front door and found my husband back from his trip off-shore a week early. I was so happy and shocked and confused and surprised to have him back that I just stood there with my mouth open and tears rolling down my face with flashbacks from our proposal. I’m so glad to have him back safe and healthy! My life is truly complete when we’re together. We both have a whole new respect for families who live this lifestyle on a regular basis; it is very challenging. Thank you everyone for your emails, phone calls, and prayers of support; we are truly grateful.

I’m glad that I got the house cleaned on Saturday before Phil returned. The kitchen was beginning to look like a “bachelor pad” (or “bachelorette pad” in this case). I had cereal bowls everywhere. There was really no reason to cook and I was working a lot so I just ate cereal for all my meals. Phil told me I lost weight… so I guess I could be in the Special K commercials inspiring weight loss. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I'll take the compliment :-)

I was so happy to watch the Superbowl with Phil. I love an underdog story, but ultimately I was hoping the Colts were going to smash the Saints. I was also looking forward to Carrie Underwood singing the National Anthem. I thought Underwood had the potential to blow Whitney Houston’s ’91 version out of the water (if you don’t remember this one you have to youtube it; Houston was phenomenal). I’m not sure if Underwood was successful at surpassing Houston, but I still think she did a great job. Now that football season is over, we are already engrossed in basketball season; sports viewing in this household never stops.

Last night I made the PW’s Chicken Spaghetti. While I was cooking it, I was thinking that Phil was not going to like this dish at all because it was a little bit creamy. After I took it out of the oven, I set it on the stove to cool and was doing something in the other room when I heard, “Hey D (‘D’ is what Phil calls me), I like this stuff!” So apparently the smell lured him into the kitchen and he actually liked it! I’m glad I don’t know him too well, because it keeps me on my toes and keeps life interesting. For the recipe, I used 2 lbs of skinless, boneless chicken tenders instead of the fryer chicken and chopped them into bite size pieces. I used ½ of the pimento recommendation, omitted the cheese topping, and used whole wheat spaghetti noodles. Phil’s suggestions for this recipe were: cut the chicken amount in half and add shrimp and mushrooms.
Chicken Spaghetti page 130
Back home in WV and VA they are getting smashed with snow. They got another couple feet of snow last weekend and are expected to get more this week. Please keep the east coast in your prayers.

Last Thursday we found out the Phil’s younger sister is expecting a boy! We are so happy for them and can’t wait to start spoiling our new nephew! Congratulations Joni and Anthony!!!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...