Monday, February 22, 2010

deLightful

Truly, what a beautiful weekend? The weather was gorgeous this weekend and a nice sample of the spring to come. I heard this morning on the local tv station that winter may show his face once more tomorrow and again next week with chances of snow! What will people in Houston do?! My personal opinion is that snow is highly doubtful, but the chance in itself is exciting.

Ok east coast blog readers….have you any idea what a Caramel deLight is? Haha, you may not think you do, but you do. I was grocery shopping over the weekend and got stopped on the way into the grocery store by some lovely girl scouts (I love it when they have step-up shop in front of Kroger and I love it even more when my husband has just the right amount of cash to help me stock-up without looking like a total pig). When I so enthusiastically asked for a box of Samoas you would have thought I was speaking in a foreign language by the way these young ladies and their mothers looked at me. Apparently the Girl Scout organization has sold their recipes to various cookie bakers through the Little Brownie Bakers (LBB) organization, causing the name of the cookie to be regionally specific. So in Houston, I now order my treasured Samoas as Caramel deLights. Luckily the name was the only thing that changed, and the flavor was just as tasty as I remembered it. By the way, I refuse to tell you how many cookies I gorged on in one setting, but I will say I spent extra time in the gym this morning ;-)

Fellow bloggers, my sister introduced me to this totally awesome website that helps you edit your photos for free (thanks Kellyn!): http://www.picnik.com/. For a while I have been working on updating our blog and this was perfect for helping me with the header. Though these are outdated, here are some of my practices to show you all the things you can do with your photos on this website.
Last week I got to make several PW recipes and they were pretty yummy! Chicken-Fried Steak and the PW’s Creamy Mashed Potatoes: Red meat + mashed potatoes + gravy = one very happy husband. Phil said that the mashed potatoes were the best he has ever tasted (my thought was, “well they better be considering how terrible they are for you”). Judging from the smile on Phil’s face, I know that we will be making both of these recipes again. Chicken Pot Pie: Little did the PW know that she was going to be in a cooking duel since chicken pot pie is a staple in our house. We could tell a difference between the PW’s recipe and mine, but it wasn’t a bad difference. Like everything we have tried so far, it was really delicious. I think the only reason I would stick with my recipe is because mine seems to be a bit faster. Cowboy Calzones: This was not my favorite recipe by the PW. There wasn’t anything really that I could pinpoint that I didn’t like about it, I just think that I am used to Italian calzones so I had different expectations. This recipe wasn’t bad, just not my favorite. Patsy’s Blackberry Cobbler (with blue berries and raspberries): Phil and I decided to make it a mixed berry cobbler instead of just a blueberry cobbler and it was very tasty. We served it at bible study with some Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream and it was a hit.
BBQ Jalapeno Poppers: Jalapeno poppers was the first recipe that Phil and I were introduced to when we moved to Texas (thanks Shelly!) and it has since become a favorite of ours. In the past, Phil and I have made our poppers more plain (i.e. just cream cheese for the filling and no BBQ sauce), so we were nervous to break out of our mold. But boy, are we sure glad that we did!

Have a great week everyone!

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...