Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What I’m Lovin’ Wednesday: The Clean Feeling

If you’re like me, sometimes life gets too busy to do a deep clean around the house.  BUT this doesn’t mean that I don’t like things clean and orderly.  In fact sometimes I can get distracted & frustrated when things are dirty or out of line; it prevents me from focusing on what I really need to be doing.  So here are a few things you can do everyday to keep you feeling clean and tidy when you don’t have enough time to do everything.
Too Busy To Clean Shortcuts-2
1Sweep the Kitchen
I don’t know about you, but I hate the feeling of crumbs under my feet.  I want to be able to walk barefooted in my own house, but if I have to step on crumbs or dirt it just makes me feel so icky and frustrated!  Take 2 minutes to sweep the floor in the kitchen, make sure to get around the trash can, in front of the stove, and where ever you do the majority of your chopping.2
Keep the Sink Empty
No body likes to do the dishes, myself included, but Mt. Everest in my kitchen sink begins to smell (I know you know what I’m talking about).  So the easiest thing to do is to load the dishwasher throughout the day and then turn it on right before bed.  In the morning when you wake up, empty the cleaned dishes and you’re ready to go for another day with an empty sink.3Make Your Bed
When I was a kid I refused to make my bed because I was convinced that it would feel that exact same level of comfort when I returned if I didn’t move the covers.  Well I was wrong.  Really, making my bed in the morning just sets the tone for the rest of the day.  Whenever I make my bed I know a productive day is ahead of me.  When I return to bed in the evening crisp and folded sheets are so refreshing and I drift off to dream land faster.  So while the coffee is brewing in the morning, go make your bed.4Clutter Control
Two times a day, once in the morning and once right before bed, go through the common areas and do a 10-15 minute pick-up: put things back in their place, return toys (in my case puppy toys) to the toy box, fluff the pillows, take cups back to the kitchen, etc.5
Wipe Off Countertops
I have mentioned before (here and here) how I don’t like clutter on the countertops and ways to de-clutter, but don’t forget to wipe them off.  Nothing is worse than going to write something and while pressing down on the countertop jelly gets all over that thank you note you were writing (this may or may not be a true story. arg!!!!!) Just use water and sponge to wipe down the countertops.  Note that this means you will have to file all of those papers and bills that are lying around in the kitchen <—this is a good thing, and will make you feel so organized!
6Laundry in the Hamper
Get the laundry off the floor and out of the reading chair in your bedroom and put it in the hamper.  This does not mean you have to do laundry, just get it off the floor and all in one place.  When you are ready to do laundry you will be ready to go.7
Light a Candle
Even when you’re busy and you’re running around like a crazy person, lighting a candle has such a great power of making you feel like you’ve got it all together, like you’re not unraveling.  I personally like citrus smells just because they smell clean.  My favorite right now is Cilantro Citrus from Pier 1.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am stopping at 7…..because Hello!!!! You’re busy!  No need to add 8-10 just to have an even, well-rounded number!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do these 7 things every day to help me maintain that fresh & serene feeling at home even when I’m crazy busy.  Then when I do have time for a deep clean it’s a lot less exhausting. 

What other tips & tricks do you keep in your bag to make your home feel tidy when you don’t have time to clean?

Happy Wednesday my sweet friends!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...