Monday, May 6, 2013

Skillet Tamale Pie {{in 30 minutes}}

Happy belated Cinco de Mayo!  Did y’all enjoy your weekend?  I’m still going full-force working towards the end of the semester.  By the end of this week the semester will be over and I will be watching many of my students graduate.  So bittersweet!

This is a meal I cook often during the busy weeks because it is really tasty, super fast to make, and minimal clean up.  I’ve mentioned before that I have a love affair with my cast iron skillet, and it’s true!  I can make dishes with deep flavor and I don’t even have to clean it. In fact, I’m not even allowed to clean it! 

“Heaven!” ……..said every busy woman!

So in case you’ve got a crazy week ahead of you, try this recipe!From the Kitchen of Darby Hawley
DSC_0683-3
Ingredients
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 tbs chili powder
Salt and pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1lb ground beef
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
6.5-8.5oz package of cornbread mix (I used Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread or Pioneer Brand) 
1 cup cheddar cheese
2 tbs cilantro
salt and pepper
Garnish with extra cilantro and sour cream
DSC_0666-2
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat oil in 12-inch cast iron skillet on medium to medium-high until shimmering. Add onion, chili powder, and ½ tsp salt. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened. Stir in garlic for about 30 sections. Be careful because garlic burns easily. DSC_0667-23. Stir in ground beef, beans, and tomatoes, and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes. DSC_0669-24. While the beef is cooking, mix together the cornbread mixture according to the package.
5. Stir cheddar and cilantro into beef mixture, and season to your taste with salt and pepper (I use about 1/2 tsp of each). Pour cornbread mixture over top and spread out to cover the beef mixture in an even layer. DSC_0673-26. Put the skillet into the oven and bake until cornbread is cook through in the center (about 10-15 minutes). Serve with cilantro and sour cream.  If you live in Texas and have access to an HEB I also top mine with their That Green Sauce.
7. Eat and LOVE your lifeDSC_0683-2
Have a fabulous week my sweet friends!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...