Monday, February 18, 2013

A Finished Front {paint + spring wreath}

I think the front of the house is done.  For now ;-)

We have added shutters and carriage accessories to the garage.  The last thing I wanted to do was update the front door.  At first I really hated the door; it looked weird to me….too unique or something.  But with time I think it started to grow on me and I liked that it was weird.  Maybe it became charming to me? I don’t know, but instead of buying a new door, I decided just the paint the front door.

After scrolling through Pinterest I found my inspiration (and seriously this is no easy task since Pinterest inspires me to be a dynamic chef, over-achieving supermom to my hypothetical children, and the next Julian Michaels; it's too hard to stay focused!).
But, I just loved the classic look of this door.  inspiration
I purchased some semi-gloss black interior/exterior paint.  After cleaning the door I applied two coats and that was that.
Here is the door, before & after.
By the way, I've got to thank Joy again for the fabulous door mat for a housewarming gift! It's so perfect for us!
Door Collage

Just a couple layers of paint is a super easy way to make a big impression, and we all know I’m all about that lol
With the door done it was time to update my wreath.  I swear this wreath just keeps showing up! You have seen this monogrammed wreath for fall
Wreath

...and when we moved inDSC_0040-2
…and now you’re about it see it for spring. lol  I never hot glue anything to it, I just switch out the flowers or ribbons for each season because I’m cheap frugal like that.  For the spring I bought 3 white hydrangeas, 3 blue hydrangeas, and a roll of burlap.  Everything was at least 40% off at Hobby Lobby and I used a coupon off of the website for another 60% off.  That is a bargain people!  I trimmed the stems and stuffed them into the left side of the wreath.  I wrapped the burlap around the wreath and used some to tie on the monogram.  That’s it.DSC_0111-2DSC_0112-2

How do you think it looks on my “new” front door?
Totally different, right?DSC_0107-2
We’ve now updated the front of the house with several finishing touches: shutters, garage accessories, painted front door, and new wreath.  Now it’s time for me to start sharing some of the updates from inside. Are you ready?
We love all of our Team Hawley projects! 
Do you like to do projects around your home too? Is there a project that you think we should try next?
Happy Monday y’all!
Linking up with:
Home Stories A2Z
and at Liz Marie's Hop To It Party
Linked up with Huckleberry Love- Much Ado About Monday Link Party
The Dedicated House- Make it Pretty Monday

21 comments:

4 You With Love said...

Darby, what a great transformation. I love the black door and your wreath is breathtaking!

Erin Reissig said...

Dude! That wreath is an awesome idea. I'm stealing it.

Lauren said...

Love the wreath! I would have thought you had to hot glue to make everything stick, but I love that you don't!

Tara said...

Pinterest can be so dangerous yet I'm so thankful for it! This is beautiful can you come do mine? oh and I'd love a 'how to' for this wreath, adorable!

Joy said...

Looks SOOOO good!!! I love the transformation.

Life in the Heights! said...

Love it!! Hobby Lobby rocks!!! Looks great!! I need to get my Spring stuff out!!

Jessica K said...

Awesome! I love it! I LOVE the wreath too! Where did you get your wooden monogram?

DaisyGirl said...

I think I lost my comment...booo...oh well...basically, I was saying your door turned out great!!!! and your wreath is so pretty against the black paint!!! The contrast and the combination of colors works really well!

Jennifer Leible said...

Looks fabulous!! You inspired me with your garage door makeover and we actually added some accessories to ours this weekend too!

Whitney said...

I love your front door! The black looks great. I think we might try to plan a blogger doggie date next month... you in? :)

Susan Fleming said...

Great ideas

Susan Fleming said...

Great ideas

Lindsay said...

That looks so wonderful! I love the bold pop of color it brings to your entrance! And what a beautiful wreath! Super cute!

Eliza said...

That looks SO so good!

Kristin said...

Wow! Looks great Darby! Amazing what a little paint will do, huh? And black is so timeless and classy :-)

applesandglue said...

Wow, looks beautiful!

Rachel said...

Your door looks fantastic! I have that same mat, with an M, of course :-)

Danielle Bailey said...

I like how you worked it out! Aside from the color, I cannot say you’ve patterned your door from the inspiration. You can still call this your own design – your very own version of a classic-looking door. :D

Sharron Folkes said...

It's the same door, right? Black does look much better than the white one. It looks clean and sophisticated! What if you changed that wreath into something more modern? Just to match the new makeover of your idea. It's just an idea, but your door is beautiful as it is now. Congrats!

Willene Fagen said...

Are you happy with your new door? It seems like the black door suits your house more than the white one. Hey, did you know that people can tell someone's personality by the color of their front door? They said that people that have a black door likes mystery and likes to keep secrets. Oooh! Do you think it's true?

Huckleberry Love said...

What a great transformation! I've been wanting to paint our front door for ages. I love how it turned out. And that wreath? Simply gorgeous!! Thanks for stopping by and linking up with Much Ado About Monday. We really appreciate it! Stop on by next Monday with more of your great ideas! Have a great weekend. :)

~Emily

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover