Monday, March 5, 2012

MIA- One Artsy Mama

MIA Series Button
Hello all!!!! This morning Amy from One Artsy Mama is visiting.  I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Amy and I love her blog!  She is SO creative! I think you’re really going to like the craft she has for you today, especially all of the LWTH mommy readers :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey there, Darby's friends and followers!
I'm Amy, aka One Artsy Mama, and you and I have something in common; we both think Darby's fantastic!
When she offered me the opportunity to do a guest post here at Life With the Hawleys, I jumped at it.
As for me, I'm a lover of all things crafty.  I'm passionate about Jesus, my family, dancing, and Ravens football, and I'm totally addicted to Starbucks.  I'm happiest when I'm creating something, especially if I get to do it with the help of my 3 year old "Little Crafter."

Today, I thought I'd show you one of our latest creative endeavors together.  A good friend of mine is due with her third baby in April and a few of us are throwing her a little shower with the theme "The Very Hungry Caterpillar!"
We love that book in the Artsy House, so Little Crafter was beyond excited to help me make these cute little favors.
He helped me glue the pom-poms onto each clothespin, then add two eyes and a magnet to each one.  We have a whole herd of them...{what do you call a big ol' army of caterpillars, anyway? a pack?  a gaggle?  a flock?}
Anyway, as I'd been scouring Pinterest for Hungry Caterpillar crafts and ideas, I came upon one where they used a child's handprints to make the caterpillar...which, of course, LC thought he needed to do as soon as he saw it!  The best part was that it was totally his idea to put it on a shirt instead of canvas or paper!
Here's how to make your own:

Materials -
white t-shirt
fabric paint {brown, green, red, yellow, purple}
paintbrushes
cute little hands!

STEP 1: Place a paper bag or cardstock inside the shirt so the paint doesn't go through.  Turn it upside down so the neck of the shirt is closest to the child.

STEP 2: Use a paintbrush to paint the child's right hand with fabric paint; green on the palm and brown on the fingers.  You have to work quickly; it dries kind of fast.

STEP 3: Have child press his or her hand down on the shirt.  Repeat two more times to form caterpillar body.
STEP 4:  Use a paintbrush to fill in areas where the paint didn’t transfer.  Then, paint a red circle for the caterpillar’s head.
STEP 5: Use paintbrush in fabric paint to add antennae, eyes, and nose.
Let it dry for 24 hours, and then it's ready to wear!
Of course, he wanted to wear it the very next day, and before the day was over he'd already spilled grape juice on it...sigh.  Thank goodness for stain stick!
Hope you enjoyed the projects as much as we did!
Thanks, Darby, for having me here today!
I'd love for you all to stop by and visit me at One Artsy Mama sometime; I blog about DIY crafts, kids' crafts, and jewelry making, and I co-host a fun party each Friday where you can come to gain and share inspiration.  I'm also getting ready to celebrate my one year blog-i-versary on the 17th!  I'm doing a special "Grow Your Blog" series from the 1-8th, and I'll be hosting 19 awesome giveaways the entire week of the 11th-17th!  Hope to see you there!
~~~~~~~~~~~
This is such a wonderful shower theme! I love it!  Amy has so many wonderful events going on at her blog this month, I highly recommend you go check her out and leave her some love :-)
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...