Friday, March 9, 2012

MIA- Embrace the Journey

Morning y’all!  Blog world has transformed me in so many ways, but one of the best things that has happened to me is meeting Danie from Embrace the Journey.  She is truly my identical twin on so many levels, but I will save that fabulous story for another day.  The last time Danie was here at LWTH she shared her love story (see here), but since then her family has changed a bit and today she has some new crafts to share with you.
Embrace the Journey
Thank you Darby for having me as a guest poster, I'm so delighted! My husband and I are expecting our first child in April and I've been a busy little mama trying to get the nursery ready for our little man before I absolutely don't feel like doing anything (I'm getting closer to that point already)!  You're about to get mostly a picture overload of the things that I have made myself.  I am so pleased with how things have turned out and it is looking just like I had pictured.  We still have some finishing touches, but we are pretty much finished with the major things.  I hope it inspires others out there to be creative; don't just go along with the "norm"!

I found this lamp for such a bargain at Goodwill...$2!  I wanted to do something with the shade to spruce it up a little, but nothing that required too much of a commitment, in case I want to change it up again sometime.  This is what I came up with:
Before
After
I bought different 'boy' looking ribbon and tied them onto the shade.  Easy peasy.  I actually got the idea from Pinterest!  I love how it adds just that little something, without being too much.
These are some picture frames that I picked up at Goodwill.  I'm telling you---do NOT buy new frames!  I got all of these for .59-.99 cents a piece!  I don't know if you've noticed how much picture frames cost these days. The first set of 3, I crackled white.  One comes up with green underneath and the other two are blue underneath.  (The finished product picture doesn't do it much justice).
How ugly are these!
Of course, they still need pictures, but that's for when Liam arrives!
This next frame I picked up and immediately saw the shape of an animal of some kind.  After pondering a minute, my momma piped up "I see an owl!"  So....
An owl is what I did!
Another frame I painted and crackled.  The "L" is actually an ornament left over after Christmas that my momma found at Hobby Lobby for practically nothing.  Since I didn't have anything else to do with it, I decided to make some use out of it this way.
This is another Pinterest inspiration project.  My momma had this frame that she hadn't used at all and she also had the fabric laying around.  I stuck the polka dot fabric on some cross stitch sticky board she also had.  I freehanded the puppy on some fuzzy fabric and cut him out...glued him on and there you have it.
These are a couple of puzzles that were handed down to me, out of a stack of many.  I had a blank spot on the wall and I thought they were too cute to put up just to wait for him to play with them, so I mod podged them and glued ribbon to the back.
This is a Where the Wild Things are inspired shelf project I made.  It was my husband's favorite book growing up, so I knew I wanted to include it in the room.  The shelf I had on hand and the quote board, I painted on wood.  I got the monsters off of Amazon and let my husband pick them out.
Yet another Pinterest inspiration: fabric hoops!  I'm sure you've seen these things floating around on there.  My mom had every thing I needed to make them and she helped me put them together.  I just love how they are all unique, but come together as a whole so well.
This is a shutter project I did.  I had the shutter already, along with the wooden plaques, and my mom found the initials for about $1 at Hobby Lobby.
This is a cabinet/corner shelf (one of many) that my daddy built way back when.  It was just the color of the wood before, then Nick and I put one white wash coat on it and we loved how it turned out so old looking.
Finally... this is our changing cabinet that we revamped!  We bought it at a local flea market for $50.  It's solid oak and will probably out live us all.  I was so happy to find this steal, because it amazes me how much stores take advantage of parents by charging you out the wazoo for "nursery furniture."  I had planned on putting some trim on the doors to give it a little extra something else, but I have a busy daddy and he hasn't gotten a chance to cut the wood for me yet.  I think it's beautiful though and I'm so proud of it!
Before....
After!
Lighting is totally off in this picture, sorry.
So, that is Mr. Liam's nursery... and I absolutely can't wait to have our little man in it!  I hope I've inspired the crafty side in you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aren’t you in love with all of Danie’s great ideas for Liam’s nursery?!  Make sure you hop over to Embrace the Journey and let Danie now how creative she is!!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...