Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Time of My Life

I am not a fan of summer.  It's just not my season, and I don't even really have a reason for not liking it.  However, now that the fall has officially commenced (due to school, not the weather obviously), I am looking back on the best summer I have ever had.  The past three months have been the best months of my life and I treasure them dearly.

This summer I didn't:
go to the beach, or on vacation
read a book or magazine by the pool
work in my garden
go shopping
catch up on sleep
do a single DIY project
rarely cooked, blogged, or saw the sun
watch a single baseball game
host a bbq
prep for the school year
look forward to the fun of the fall and Christmas season

This summer I did:
go days without a shower
spend days covered in spit-up
woke up all hours of the night and rocked a baby to sleep
mastered the art of 7 loads of laundry a week
figured out cloth diapers
washed pump parts multiple times a day
rarely peeled my yoga pants off (and if I did it was to put on my skinny jeans or leggings and a maternity shirt)
forgot about email
walked around the neighborhood with a stroller
learned all about baby poop (color, scent, & texture)
played on the floor
read children books
watched all 10 seasons of Greys Anatomy
watched the 4th of July fireworks on TV
mastered the majority of communication with the outside world through my cell phone
wore a nice spot on the couch that matches the shape of my new giant rear-end
learned that Saturday and Sunday means nothing
built a stock of breastmilk for my return to work
discovered hgtv, diy network, and Chopped!

To be honest I didn't miss a single activity that I would have normally done in the summer.  Not one. My perspective has completely shifted.  Instead, this summer ended up being the best of my entire life, and I'm sad to see it end.  For the first time ever I am holding onto and day dreaming of the "dog days of summer" and looking forward to the fun of next summer!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...