Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reality Escape

My wonderful husband planned a Reality Escape vacation for us- hence the title of this post :-).  We’ve been working 16-18 hour days, everyday since October (with the exception of 6 days for Christmas) and were due for a vacation.  Working everyday, including weekends, really takes its toll on a person, and we were desperate for a nap break.  I was ecstatic when Phil told me that he had planned a surprise vacation for us.  I thought about it through all the long days leading up to the get-away as the “light at the end of the tunnel.”  To be honest, I think I would have been happy if we just locked ourselves inside for a weekend, but not Phil.  That man always goes above and beyond to make sure I feel loved and have a fun and relaxing break.  God definitely blessed me with an exceptional husband.

The night before we left, I packed waaaaay more than I would ever need; waaaaay more clothes and shoes than I could wear in 5 days.  But the way I saw it, I was prepared for whatever adventures my husband had planned for us :-)  Before leaving I got a pedicure (my favorite little relaxation treat for myself) and I picked OPI’s Strawberry Margarita for my color, because it sounded like a great vacation color.  Don’t you think so?

Friday morning we left Houston pretty early so that we could have brunch in Austin at Flip Happy Crepes.  These crepes were phenomenal.  We ordered one savory and one sweet crepe to split: a shredded pork for the savory, and peanut butter, banana, and chocolate crepe for the sweet.  I skipped most of the savory, and spent the majority of my eating energy on the sweet crepe.  If you ask me, chocolate is always the best way to start a vacation.DSC04973DSC04976DSC04974

In the afternoon we went to Barton Springs to go swimming.  This was my first time swimming in a spring and I loved how clear the water was. 

Check out how blue the water was!  I could see the bottom of the 15 foot spring pool!  DSC04981

Friday evening, we went visiting 6th street and some of our favorite hot spots.  Saturday morning we woke up and went on a tour of the Hill Country, stopping at Driftwood Estate, Duchman, and Dry Comal Creek.  Getting out into the fresh air, admiring nature, hand-in-hand with my husband was picture perfect!  DSC04991DSC04994DSC04999DSC05036DSC05008DSC05010

In between our stops in the Hill Country we went to 2 famous BBQ restaurants for lunch in Lockhart, TX.  Yes, I said 2!  What do you do when you’re only going to be around 2 well-renowned BBQ places only for an afternoon? You try them both!  Our first stop for lunch was Blacks BBQ and we ordered ribs.  DSC05019DSC05021Our second lunch was at Kreuz Market, and we ordered sausage, ribs, and brisket.  Our lunches were amazing; however, we are now certain that we’re officially spoiled and will never be able to eat ordinary BBQ again.  I can’t believe that I actually shared with you I ate 2 lunches in one day, but that is how good it was! DSC05025DSC05026

On Sunday we woke up early and went to New Braunfels, TX to float the Guadalupe River.  This was our second time floating the river and visiting Gruene (check out our first visit in 2009).  This time we were the only ones on the river and the water was perfect.  It was truly the most peaceful and relaxing river float I have ever been on and exactly what the doctor ordered!  We went to the famous Gristmill for lunch and I can’t even tell you how delicious lunch was.  I dove into my meal so fast I forgot to take a picture, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Later on Sunday we traveled to Seguin, TX.  I have never even heard of this town, but it was the perfect location for our last stop.  Phil reserved a place for us at the Mosheim Mansion.  This house, turned Bed & Breakfast, was gorgeous!  The authentic décor, fabulous service, and delicious breakfast were enough to secure another visit from the Hawleys. 

The mansion is in a quaint town that was truly lovely to visit.  Take a lot at downtown SeguinDSC05050Who sees the largest pecan and doesn’t take a picture? Not me!DSC05052Their new river walkDSC05073

The mansion...I couldn’t get the entire house in the frame…DSC05049

…so this is another view of the front of the houseDSC05047

The San Antonio Suite, where we stayed, was extremely grand.DSC05037

Where we ate the most delicious french toast ever.DSC05066DSC05067

One of the many gorgeous sitting rooms.DSC05068

On Monday it was very difficult to pack up and head back to Houston, but the trip was totally worth it.  Some of my favorite moments from the trip were playing 21 questions in the car, floating peacefully down the Guadalupe River, all of the BBQ, touring the gorgeous Hill Country, the Mansion, pit stops at Buc-ees, and lastly but most significantly, getting some time away with Phil.

I appreciate the slower pace of country life, but deep down, I’m a city girl.  I loved escaping from the city, but I still love coming back :-)

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...