Friday, April 26, 2013

DIY Shutter Headboard- Take 2

One of the things I had to finish before Joy arrived a couple weeks ago (see here) was the guest room.  She was the first over-night guest in our home since the big move in December (dets here) and I wanted her to feel like her room was complete.  Since I still really liked the headboard from the master bedroom at our apartment, I decided to use it again but to give it a little makeover.  Seriously, who doesn’t love a makeover?!
In our previous master bedroom, I purchased shutter dividers from Hobby Lobby (my favorite store) and negotiated them down to $50 because there were a few dings. 
They were originally $300, so I’d say I got the better deal ;-)
I separated the shutters and used one to display pictures. I painted it blue and then distressed it (tutorial here).
The others I attached to the bed for an espresso colored headboard (tutorial here).
Pictures from our previous master bedroom
Collage 1
When we moved to the new house we purchased a new bedroom set so I still had these shutters, and to be honest I still really liked them.
I primed and painted the shutters white, and then distressed them with sand paper.
Collage 2DSC_0245-2Collage 3
The Mr. attached them to the wall for me and we were done.
Easy, Peasy, Lemon Squeezy <---- That’s what the Mr. said :-)
I think it really gave the room the complete look I was looking for and it maintained the serene, peaceful, & warm bungalow feeling I was going for in the guest room. The colors in this room are lavendar, white, cream, and gray.
See burlap lamp tutorial hereDSC_0584-2DSC_0586-2DSC_0588-2DSC_0583-3This is now the only completed bedroom in the house. lol I still have the other bedroom and the master to tackle and I think I’m going to start on the office next. 
Any tips or trends you recommend for our "warm bungalow"?
Have a great weekend y’all!
xoxo Darby

18 comments :

Shannon said...

I love the head board, how cute! I also really love the colors you went with, it looks so dreamy, great job!

Lauren said...

SO cute and creative! And I love that you have given your home a theme - hopefully it makes your decor choices easier. Interested to see the rest of the house once it's done!

Meg O. said...

Oh that is SO cute, Darby!!! I love it!!!

Tami Rebekah said...

oh mygoodness!! You are too good!! Wish I had the courage to display more of my DIYS!! I always see cat hair in the pic background and chicken out :( But your photos are lovely!! You need to teach me! Have a wonderful weekend!

Erin Reissig said...

Um excuse me?! $50, adorable? you are so smart! I'd have never thought to use something like that as a headboard. Plus the picture idea is really great. I have a small shutter that was going to be used for jewelry, but now has no job... Maybe I'm stealing that.

Catherine said...

Super cute! You can come decorate my house any day!

Jessica said...

it looks beautiful! i love that guest room! i always feel like a bedroom should make me want to be in it a lot. i would say this succeeds! i want to come stay in that room!!

Joy said...

I loved every moment I got to spend in "my" room during my visit to the Hawley home! And it's the perfect cozy feel! I can't wait til I'm back in that room again! =)

Jessica K said...

That looks awesome! I love the color scheme - so relaxing! You are soo creative!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

Girl, you are on a DIY roll! I love this!

Nadine Lynn said...

That looks amazing! I love the style, every detail is so perfect!

Susan Fleming said...

Very lovely

applesandglue said...

You are so talented lady, this looks fantastic! Love how it turned out. :)

Whitney said...

That is so cool! My parents did something similar for their bedroom and it was really neat. I love your guest room!

Sam @ The Junk House said...

I love the headboard...and the entire room! It's soooo cute! You don't even want to see what our guest room looks like right now! haha!

sherri lynn said...

Wow the headboard looks so good! The bed looks so nice and welcoming with the pretty headboard and all those pillows... can I come over?! :)

Reduce, Reuse, Renewed said...

Totally amazing! I love the look of it. I have a similar set of shutters someone gave me after they cleaned out their garage. They have just been sitting in my basement waiting for inspiration. Think I'll copy you! Really like how yours turned out!

Shirley Todd said...

It’s amazing that you came up with a lot of recycling concepts for something that most people would've just thrown away, like this old and stodgy shutters. And the ideas you came up with are truly priceless! It’s truly incredible that you completed your bedroom’s look with all this repainted old shutters. Cheers!

Shirley Todd @ Arjay’s Window Fashions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...