Friday, March 15, 2013

Peace Out Kelly Green- Hello Sophistication

When we moved into the new house I despised our kelly green walls (see here).  The bright warm feeling of the green started to grow on me with time, but it still wasn’t me.  I might be Irish, but I just can’t deal with that much bright green screaming at me every morning.  I needed something warm, but also serene and cool.  While I want a warm bungalow home, I also want a peaceful retreat for us, and green was just too much.
Check out all of this green! Bright, right?DSC_0171-2DSC_0172-2
For the living room I chose a medium gray because I felt like that could double as both serene and warm.  Once I removed all of the electric plates, taped the edges, moved the furniture to the center of the room and covered it with plastic, I primed and painted (Thanks for the help Rooney).Collage 1DSC_0185-2DSC_0184-2
The common area of our home is really open so there are only 2 walls in the dining area.  One is connected to the living room and the other backs up to the garage.  I wanted this wall to be a feature wall and something fun, so I purchased the large Rabat stencil from Cutting Edge. I chose a custom cream and indigo stream interior latex paint with a flat finish from Valspar. 

Since I’m revealing the new dining room and foraged this new stencil territory (new to me of course) I decided to share some tips with you, mostly based on the mistakes I made:Stencil 101
  1. Your paint should have a flat finish.  Anything glossy will be difficult.
  2. Prime the wall and then cover it with your paint of choice (the color that you want to be the outline of your shapes). I did two coats of a custom light cream. For one wall I only needed about 1 quart of paint. I had enough for two coats and touch-ups afterwards. Your stenciling color (indigo stream in my case) you will use with the stencil. This may seem obvious, but to me it was something that required a little extra thought. I purchased a quart of the blue, but only used about half of the can.Collage 5
  3. You need an entire roll of painters tape.  I used half a roll and I only painted one small feature wall.    Not only will you need this for taping off edges, doors, and molding, but you will also need it each time you attach the stencil to the wall.  On the edges of the wall I also used tape to cover parts of the stencil that I didn’t want to paint.  Masking tape, though very similar, is too strong and will peal off your paint.Collage 4
  4. Corners are challenging but are not impossible.  The actual material of the stencil is pretty flexible so you can bend it into the corner and tape it up so that you can continue the pattern.  Again, tape is necessary! DSC_0210-2
  5. Start in the middle of your wall and work your way out.
  6. A level would probably help.  I’m stubborn and didn’t use one, but I do recognize that it would have helped a lot.
  7. You will need a lot of paper towels.  Every time you dip your roller into the paint you must roll it over the paper towels to get the excess off or else the paint will bleed under the stencil.  This will make you very angry, so just use the paper towels.DSC_0204-2
  8. If you mess up…don’t freak out. In fact expect that you’re going to mess up; just change your mentality to accept that it will happen. When the paint dries you can always go back and make little touch-ups. No use kicking yourself over it though.DSC_0212-2
  9. Between each time you use the stencil you need to give both the wall and the stencil a couple minutes to dry so that the paint doesn’t smudge or transfer to the back of the stencil the next time you use it. Again this is another reason you want to use the paper towels, because you don’t want a lot of excess paint on the back of the stencil.
  10. Every 5-6 times you use the stencil you will probably need to wash it.  Just stick it in the bathtub with warm water and go over it with a dish sponge.  The paint should peel right off.  Don’t let the paint go down the drain (it will clog it and it’s bad for the environment). Let the stencil dry and then you can use it again.
  11. Rent the entire series of Harry Potter to listen to while you paint.  This is not an option folks!
  12. Stenciling may appear to be easy but it can be stressful.  It takes a lot of time and patience.  I have blisters on my hands from all of the painting and I was exhausted (staying up until 3am over spring break was not on my itinerary), but it is totally worth it!  Thanks Lura for the midnight encouragement!
Collage 2DSC_0224-2Collage 3DSC_0225-2DSC_0228-2
Ok time for the before and afters…because isn’t that everyone’s favorite part?!
Here is the living room:DSC_0171-2DSC_0235-2
And the dining room:DSC_0172-2DSC_0241-2I really love the look of our dining room now. It’s everything I imagined it would be in my head: traditional, warm, cool, and fun.  I think the colors are more us and more serene and peaceful.  With the exception of one more project in the living room, I think these two rooms are done.  Phew.
What do y’all think?  Do the colors go well? Have you tried stenciling before?
xoxo Darby

43 comments :

Joni said...

I LOVE it! Such a crafty sister in law I have :)

Erin Reissig said...

OMG! That stencil is AMAZING! I'm super impressed. It looks really great!

Taylor Brione said...

How cute!! I'm so inspired! I wish I could do that! Great job Darby!

Life in the Heights! said...

LOVE!!! You did an amazing job!!!

meg said...

beautiful! love it!

Kristin said...

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Darby! This is perfection! I love, love, love it :-). Featuring this on my "Fabulous Finds" today. What a beautiful color choice - so serene and yet sophisticated. Now you've got me wondering where I can add some navy and white to my house...hmmmmm. Oh, and I totally hear you on the stressful/exhausting/time consuming nature of whole-wall stenciling. My bedroom half-wall took me weeks (I had to sponge daub mine...it was too small of a design for rolling), and I started calling it my "Sistine Chapel", and wondering if I would finish it before I died! Ha! Anyway, your afters are just fabulous. Right out of a magazine girl! A++++ on all of your design choices(and my favorite little touch is how the stenciled wall is reflected in the quatrofoil mirror ♥)!

Meg Cady said...

WOW!!! That looks amazing! You did such a great job! Really it totally changes the whole room! LOVE IT!

Jessica K said...

I have always wanted to do something like that but I don't have the courage! IT LOOKS AMAZING! I might have to test it out in my master bedroom. That way if it goes bad, I will be the only one to see! Haha! I love the grey in the living room. Very warm, and ANY colors will go with it. Great job & definitely thanks for the stencil 101!

applesandglue said...

Wow, you are amazing - the stenciling looks fantastic! Makes it look so formal and yet not at the same time. Great job!! :)

Kellyn Fleming said...

Just reading through this post was making me stressed out! Yes, I think the whole series of HP and a lot of patience would be key. Even still, you made it sound so easy and it looks great!!! I absolutely love it. Love how the statement wall reflects through in the mirror. Just perfect! AND, I do love how you still ke[t some pops of that kelly green in the living room with a few touches here and there in the decor. hehe

Joy said...

OH MY WORD..... IN LOVE!!! Darby it looks great!!! AND I can't wait to see it in person in a few weeks!!! Whoop Whoop!!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

Darby wins the gold star for home design! This looks beautiful and so sharp!

Morgan said...

WOW! What a difference! It looks amazing and I can't believe you had the patience to do that stenciling!

Artista said...

Looks fab! I just stenciled a wall in our babys nursery too!

Samantha Horseman said...

It looks AMAZING Darby! Great job :) I am doing a link-up to show off other bloggers homes. You should join in!
http://designerinteal.blogspot.com/2013/03/design-in-your-home.html

XO Samantha

Emily said...

LOVE IT. :) GOOD JOB!!

Whitney said...

WOW!!! This looks amazing! You did such a great job. I don't think I would ever have the patience for something like that. You're awesome!

Kristen Danielle said...

Looks wonderful! You are so crafty!! :) I liked the green but this looks tons better!

Meg O. said...

UM.... wow!! Can you come paint my house next?!

Ches said...

Wow, I am super impressed!!! The grey looks soooo much better it even makes the room look larger and that stencil is awesome

stephanie said...

Looks awesome! Great job!

stephanie said...

Looks awesome! Great job!

sherri lynn said...

Darby these rooms look awesome! The green was too bright (I think) for the living room, but the gray is so welcoming and cozy! And the dining room! That stencil looks amazing!!! I can't even imagine how much work that was. Both rooms look awesome!

Jennifer Leible said...

WOW!!! That wall is truly amazing! I had a hard time stenciling a few letters...I have no idea how you managed to complete a whole wall! Serious props to you for that!! I love the new look!

Haylee said...

WOW Darby!! That looks GREAT! You should just give up the whole professor thing and do event planning and interior decorating.:) I wish I could be good at the interior decorating but alas it doesn't come easy to me or really at all!:)

Julia Kendrick said...

So pretty! I love it!! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

Marilyn Clark said...

Darby I absolutely love your new space! So elegant and sophisticated!

Huckleberry Love said...

This is simply beautiful!! I love the dark blue color that you used- sophisticated and fun at the same time! I actually have this same stencil and used it to stencil a table top. I have plans to use it in our bedroom soon. You certainly do make it look good! :)
Thanks SOO much for stopping by Much Ado About Monday!
~Emily

cmyfabrik.com said...

Absolutely love this makeover. Great choice of stencil and the fireplace walls look so much better toned down from that green. Great post, love the pics!

Krista @thehappyhousie said...

Wow you are so patient! I started tracing with pencil and painting by hand instead of ordering a similar stencil. Very quickly ditched that idea. Yours turned out very well though. Looks great!!
Krista

Christine @ Let's Get Crafty! said...

This looks amazing! I just stenciled some drop cloth curtains!

Jaime Lyn said...

Oh my goodness friend, I am so so so drooling right now! AMAZING job! You are SO brave to use a dark color like that, I know it is a lot of work to get everything looking perfect! Ohhh but so so so worth it!!! :)
Jaime

Lauren said...

Love the stenciled wall. I love green as well. So the rooms didn't look bad before. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-11.html

Tina Milas said...

Darby, you did an amazing job!!! I looooove the outcome! kudos to you. <3 stopping by from the happy hour party. Tina from http://zoocutieprintables.com

stephanie said...

This looks fab! And I love that you chose to do an accent wall only. My entire office is painted a navy/black. I'm thinking about doing something like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Stephanie @ thestyledsoul.com

kelly thompson said...

I like the make-over- also psalms 91 is my favorite scripture!

Carrie from Carrie This Home said...

Wow! Those results are fabulous! I love that you share what to do when you mess up. Could you link this up to my blog hop? I think our readers would really like it! Thanks!
http://carriethishome.com/2013/03/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-16/

Huckleberry Love said...

You are being featured on Much Ado About Monday this week! Stop on by and grab our featured button! Thanks for linking up with us! -Emily

Sara said...

Love the new colors and stenciling! It really makes everything come together more. Very elegant.

Crunchy Diva said...

So great! I adore the color - you mentioned it was called indigo stream - who makes that? I MUST use that color somewhere.
xo Maggie
www.crunchydiva.com

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

This is super fantastic! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

The Cavallaro's said...

I love this and have wanted a statement wall in our non-existant nursery. I always thought I had to use wall paper and not sure why the thought of a stencil never occurred to me before! I'm bookmarking this post for sure for future reference!!!!!!

Mike Grider said...

Wow, what transformation. I love how the mirror picks up the pattern from the stenciled wall. Looks amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...