Friday, July 27, 2012

Last Minute Jambalaya (But Not Really)

From the Kitchen of Darby HawleyHaha!  Do you like that title? LOL I make this "jambalaya" dish for dinner when I'm brain dead.  It’s not what I would consider to be traditional jambalaya, but it’s tasty none the less.  I like it because it's easy, fast, and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. DSC_0129-2
Ingredients:
-1 package of Zatarain’s Jambalaya Rice (there is a spicy & a regular version & both are great, so it’s up to you)
-1lb of smoked kielbasa/sausage thinly sliced
-can of peas, drained
-can of black beans, rinsed and drained
Directions:
  1. Cook the rice according to the directions on the box (Easy, right?)
  2. While the rice is cooking, slice the kielbasa/sausage and brown in a frying pan.  The meat is smoked, so it’s all the way cooked when you purchase it, but I like to put it in the frying pan so that it has nice and crispy edges.  Depending on your pan, you might need to drizzle a little bit of EVOO, but if you use a cast iron skillet you can skip this.
  3. When the rice is done, add the meat, peas, and black beans.
  4. Stir and Serve!
See that wasn’t hard at all, and it only takes a few ingredients and very little time!  So instead of slaving away in the kitchen after a long day, go snuggle up with your hubby and catch up!
This recipe has a lot of room for personal substitutions.  If you try this out, and make some changes, please let me know so that I can try it too!DSC_0126-2
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...