Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Calling the Called

Happy Tuesday!  Yesterday I was pretty wordy about a struggle Phil and I have been going through for the past few years; thank you so much for the feedback and encouragment (click here if you missed it).  Today I wanted to share with you about my career calling.  Last week I was a guest poster at Enamored & Elegant and I share this post.  So in case you missed it, here are the details of how I was called into my career.

I firmly believe that my life is a gift from God, & I want to use what I’ve been given to honor Him.  I am not perfect at this & I have made some HUGE (not to mention, embarrassing) mistakes, but I can’t change the past.  I can only move forward, learning from my mistakes.  So how did I decide what I was going to be when I “grew up”? 

All of my decisions, are based on prayerThe more I come to God in conversation, the more I am in tune with what He wants for me to hear.  I am in prayer constantly about the little things & the big things in life.  When I was applying to undergraduate school I prayed about which school & major was best for me.  I ended up attending RMC with a major in Religious Studies & a minor in Education.  God placed people in my path while I was at RMC & I ended up switching & graduating with a major in Biopsychology.  That is a HUGE switch LOL!  I continued on that path throughout grad school, receiving my Masters and Doctorate in Behavioral Neuroscience.  Through all of these chapters in my life prayer has been the common denominator; I must keep the conversation between me and God going so that I know what the next step is that He wants me to take.68679963037758459_BInoazw4_c
Each next step has not always been easy or even something that I completely understood.  For example: Why would God want me to switch my major from Religious Studies?! Why would God want me to enroll in such a competitive graduate program when He knows I’m an anxious person?! Why would God want me to go through such a challenging graduate experience half-way across the country without my family for support?!  This is where patience and trust comes into play.  I had to choose faith in Him for what was to happen next.  So even though I might not have understood it at the time, I knew that one day I would be able to look back & see why His way was better than anything I could have ever planned for myself.110619734567323370_HTVllNwL_c
What I wanted at the end of high school was different in college, & completely opposite in graduate school.  But now that I am getting ready to start my new faculty position in the fall, it all makes perfect sense.  I will be the newest faculty member at a Christian university starting in the fall.  This position is a combination of everything I have been studying for the past 10 years; it’s perfect for me because I still get religion, education, & neuroscience.  Do you know how challenging it is to find a scientist with faith?!?!  Almost impossible!  Most scientist are atheists, so to fill a science position at a Christian university presents multiple challenges, but not for me.  Because I have faith I see God’s glory in science, & God has been training me for this position for decades.  I could have never seen the availability of this opportunity 10 years ago, but now looking back, I can see that my life was a puzzle waiting for each piece to click into place.  I admit though, this process did take some time, so through prayer I asked begged for patience, and I trusted His will.135178426285390654_3mwKW6b7_c
Something I had to continually repeat to myself, was that God does not make accidents, and there is no such thing as serendipity or coincidence.  NO SUCH THING!  God has a plan for my life and it is GOOD!  I had to relinquish what control I thought I had on my life, & give all of my concerns to him.  This is very frustrating if you’re a control freak like me, but also very liberating.  Through letting go & letting God work, I found my calling.  My calling is way better than anything I could have ever planned.  Praise the Lord!  I not only found my perfect career, but I also found my husband. 190840102929860732_NdblsZLQ_c
My best advice for someone looking for their calling is to pray & have patience, trusting in the Father’s will for your life.  It is so GOOD, so no need to worry!  He has everything under control, so continue to work hard & value each day & relationship as a gift!

How did you choose your career path?  What is your calling in life? How do you exercise that calling?

8 comments:

Meg Cady said...

Beautiful.
I identify with you so much!

I love the part where you say "continually repeat to myself, was that God does not make accidents, and there is no such thing as serendipity or coincidence. NO SUCH THING! "

AMEN SISTA! AMEN.

I cant wait to meet you!

Crystal said...

Oh, Darby! What a wonderful post! You have no idea how much I needed this right now! Thank you so much for sharing! Congratulations on your new job! God definitely works in mysterious ways and I love how you compared it to a puzzle... Its like everything has literally fallen into place in His timing and His perfect will! I am searching for His perfect will in my life right now and it seems the more I seek Him, the more He reveals, but there are still so many missing pieces to the puzzle... I am just trying to do as you stated and trust Him and have patience... Maybe one day when you have time, we can chat about more about this. :)Hope you have a wonderful day, my friend!

Lindsay said...

This is a wonderful post! When we made the decision to take the new job & move our family, it wasn't after much prayer. I was getting so stressed over the little details, that I finally had to hand it over to the Lord & put mt trust that He would take care of the rest. And He did! Sometimes it's hard to remember that it is not in our time that things will happen, but the Lord's. Thanks friend!

applesandglue said...

That is fantastic. :)

Wait, are you at my campus (where I'm at grad school) or at a different one? *confuzzled*

Holly said...

Sometimes I forget to pray for things I think are "menial," but then as soon as I do things become so much clearer. Also, I'm a teacher, but I never wanted to be. I feel like God basically shoved my job in my face and was like "no, really, you are supposed to be here!" Anyway, stopping over from GFC blog hop! Great blog!

Susan Fleming said...

God is so good--He will be with you each and every day

Mrs. Pancakes said...

We all need to read this everyday...and to be honest..i don't know if social work is my calling but i have always wanted to help people...i think i am still waiting for my calling truth be told!

Shatzi LoveandLaundry said...

I finally have a break to catch up on my blog reading. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! I knew you were one of my favorite bloggers for a reason. My husband and I have felt exactly the same way with our life and the path we are on. My husband is especially good at trusting in God. It took him a long time to even decide on a major. He is so goal oriented that he was afraid if he chose to early he wouldn't give God the chance to direct him. I'm always in a hurry and like to make quick decisions. We balance each other pretty well. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover