Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What I’m Lovin’ Wednesday: A BBQ Duel

It was my night to host ladies bible study at our house, and since I’m the only one from Virginia, I decided to introduce the ladies to some good ole’ fashion Virginia BBQ :-)

In Texas, BBQ is beef, but where I was raised, BBQ is pork.  This was a HUGE adjustment for me when I moved to TX, especially since BBQ is one of my favorites.  So for bible study I made a pulled pork butt (which isn’t actually the backside of an animal, butt really means shoulder in meat language), and I slowly cooked it for 14 hours so it basically fell apart.  Scrumptious! 

I didn’t know how the ladies would feel about the VA sauce since they were most likely used to a Texas, tomato based sauce, so I made two sauces and let them decide which was the best.  I made a traditional Virginia sauce with a fruit base, and then one that had more of a Carolina influence (my personal favorite).  Today I’m going to share my recipes with you and let you decide which is your favorite :-)  Of course they are fast and simple recipes (I don’t do anything but that!)From the Kitchen of Darby Hawley
Fruit-Based Sauce- I have made this sauce both with apricot and apple preserves, so it's up to you which you'd prefer.  I always make this one for picnics on the beach.
Melt unsalted butter and EVOO (2 tbs of each) in a skillet over medium heat.  Add in 1 medium onion, finely chopped, and season with salt and pepper.  Stir occassionally for about 5 minutes, until the onions are tender.  Add 3 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp paprika and cook for 2-3 minutes more.  Reduce the heat and add light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed), preserves (1 cup), ketchup (1 cup), and Texas Pete (2 tsp or more depending on your preference).  Bring to a simmer and stir in apple cider vinegar (1/2 cup) and salt to taste.  Keep warm until ready to serve.

Vinegar-based BBQ Sauce-  This sauce has a more robust flavor, that I simply can't get enough of!
In a sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together apple cider vinegar (2 cups), water (1 and 1/3 cups), ketchup (5/8 cup), light brown sugar (1/4 cup, packed), salt (5 tsp), crushed red pepper flakes (3 tsp), black pepper (1 tsp), and white pepper (1 tsp). Coninue to stir until brown sugar and salt are dissolved.  Either pour over cooked pulled pork until ready to serve or just put in a dish to serve.

Dueling sauces (fruit-based on the left and vinegar-based on the right)DSC_0347DSC_0344DSC_0345


DSC_0348
I put them in mason jars because they are easy to serve and store this way. I serve the pulled pork over some rolls with coleslaw and potato salad.  Delicious! I would have shown you a picture of the final product but I started eating too quickly.  You’ll have to use your imagination ;-)DSC_0349
So which sauce do you think would be your favorite?  If you make these you’ve got to let me know if you liked it.

Don't forget to make your vlog for Monday! See details here.  So excited to watch all your vlogs!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...