Monday, May 28, 2012

Hummus Monster

I have created a hummus monster in Phil.  Recently he has been on a hummus kick and we have been going through the containers of hummus like you would not believe.  So since I knew it would get eaten, I tried my own hand at hummus. DSC_0501I’ve got to admit, as much as this recipe makes, I’ve made it at least once a week for the past month.  I think it’s safe to say that your family will like it too!  Here is my hummus recipe, from my kitchen to yours :-)
From the Kitchen of Darby HawleyDrain & rinse three 15-oz cans of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (they’re the same thing).  Notice the 3 different brands of chickpeas? This is what happens when I go to the grocery store and forget to purchase all of the ingredients, twice!  lolDSC_0493 (2)DSC_0495 (2)
Blend the beans in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Slowly add in 1 cup of water as needed.DSC_0496
Mix in 3 tsp of garlic powder (or 3 cloves of garlic), 2 tbs lemon juice, 1tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. DSC_0498 (2) Stir in 1/2 cup of tahini sauce.  This was a HUGE challenge for me to find in my new grocery store.  I found it in the multi-cultural aisle; it’s a middle eastern sauce made from sesame seeds.  If you cannot find tahini sauce in your store, YOU can make it.  Though I have never made it myself, here is a sample recipe for you.  A jar costs me $6.99 but makes 3 large batches of humus; not a bad deal if you ask me.DSC_0494 (2)
Mix in 2tbs of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), and you’re done :-) DSC_0500 (2)That’s pretty easy, right?  You didn’t need more than a bowl and you didn’t even have to turn on the stove!  That is my kind of snack!DSC_0505 (2)DSC_0503
There are a lot of variations that you can make to this recipe.  You can add jalapenos, chilies in adobo sauce, or sriracha to spice it up.  I serve it with a sharp cheese, cucumbers, wheat crackers, carrots, grapes, greek olives, and/or pita chips.  It is a great light summer snack.  Hope you like this recipe as much as we do.533405_574512565870_81900238_31478393_1772639430_n
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...