Monday, May 28, 2012

Hummus Monster

I have created a hummus monster in Phil.  Recently he has been on a hummus kick and we have been going through the containers of hummus like you would not believe.  So since I knew it would get eaten, I tried my own hand at hummus. DSC_0501I’ve got to admit, as much as this recipe makes, I’ve made it at least once a week for the past month.  I think it’s safe to say that your family will like it too!  Here is my hummus recipe, from my kitchen to yours :-)
From the Kitchen of Darby HawleyDrain & rinse three 15-oz cans of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (they’re the same thing).  Notice the 3 different brands of chickpeas? This is what happens when I go to the grocery store and forget to purchase all of the ingredients, twice!  lolDSC_0493 (2)DSC_0495 (2)
Blend the beans in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Slowly add in 1 cup of water as needed.DSC_0496
Mix in 3 tsp of garlic powder (or 3 cloves of garlic), 2 tbs lemon juice, 1tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. DSC_0498 (2) Stir in 1/2 cup of tahini sauce.  This was a HUGE challenge for me to find in my new grocery store.  I found it in the multi-cultural aisle; it’s a middle eastern sauce made from sesame seeds.  If you cannot find tahini sauce in your store, YOU can make it.  Though I have never made it myself, here is a sample recipe for you.  A jar costs me $6.99 but makes 3 large batches of humus; not a bad deal if you ask me.DSC_0494 (2)
Mix in 2tbs of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), and you’re done :-) DSC_0500 (2)That’s pretty easy, right?  You didn’t need more than a bowl and you didn’t even have to turn on the stove!  That is my kind of snack!DSC_0505 (2)DSC_0503
There are a lot of variations that you can make to this recipe.  You can add jalapenos, chilies in adobo sauce, or sriracha to spice it up.  I serve it with a sharp cheese, cucumbers, wheat crackers, carrots, grapes, greek olives, and/or pita chips.  It is a great light summer snack.  Hope you like this recipe as much as we do.533405_574512565870_81900238_31478393_1772639430_n

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh yummy! This looks awesome! We are big fans of hummus around here! Thanks for the recipe. Have a great holiday, friend!

Joy said...

Never tried hummus. Maybe we should?

Jamie said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been toying with the idea of making my own for a while and just haven't! Looks yummy. Hummus is one of my favorite snacks!

24 Hour Restaurant said...

really very awesome pics and the article is also very nice thanks for sharing with us
Middle East grocery

Sarah said...

I need to try this stat! We eat SO much hummus and spend SO much money on it. We go through the HUGE containers from Costco almost once a week!

Gen said...

I've been making my own hummus for maybe a year now. My recipe differs a bit, but main ingredients are the same (tahini, lemon juice, garlic) and my secret ingredient is chicken broth powder (to provide the saltyness, I hate adding salt, I hate adding salt). I make it in our Majic Bullet; I've tried in the blender and I found that it required WAY too much water to blend, I'm very surprised you were able to blend all those chick peas without any water, you must have a very powerful blender!! The homemade hummus is so easy and cheap and even better than already made! Great source of fiber ;) I like seeing others make their own, too!

Beth said...

Making me hungry!

Jenny @ The NY Melrose Family said...

I love hummus but I've never made it myself. I definitely need to try this. Thanks somuch for,sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Claiming Our Space said...

I love hummus but as yet have never made my own. I would love it if you would share this on my linky party Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/06/tout-it-tuesday-9.html

Claiming Our Space said...

Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover