When you read “royal” in the title did you think I was going to be talking about Prince William & Kate today?
Oh yeah, sorry. That isn’t happening lol
When I say “royal” I’m referring to us (waaaaaay different, right?! lol). Now I know we aren’t royalty…not even close! But every time I go to sleep in our new bed, I feeeeeeeel like royalty. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever slept in a bed this wonderful…including the time we were snowed in at the Ritz Carlton for Christmas!
We purchased our new mattress a couple of days after moving into our new house last December. We went shopping for furniture in January since we still needed a new frame because we’d never had a king size mattress before. I fell in love with this bed from Rooms To Go, but there was no way I was going to spend $1000 on it!
So we went on the hunt for something like it, but after a few weeks of hunting we couldn’t find anything that seemed financially acceptable to us. Bed frames can be ridiculous expensive! Sheesh! We decided to make this a DIY project to save money, and started checking out some clearance centers. Well wouldn’t you know when we went to the Rooms To Go clearance center we saw the bed I had fallen for! It had several scratches and was missing the posts on the footboard, BUT we talked it down to $200! We saved $800 and brought that bad boy home :-)
Before we could put this to use we needed to purchase a bed frame and attach the headboard & footboard to it because the clearance version of this bed didn’t include those pieces. The Mr. did this and we just used the bed with the dings for a few months until I had some time to fix it. It wasn’t at it’s true glory, but it still worked. At the beginning of the summer I purchased some stain, glossy polyurethane, and 4 staircase posts. I used a clipping from an advertisement I saw of the bed to match my additions as closely as possible.
I sanded the rough edges of the staircase posts, and applied 2 coats of Ebony stain. Once that was dry I applied 3 coats of glossy polyurethane so that the posts would match the rest of the bed. I repeated the process on all of the dings on the headboard & footboard. When everything was dried, I used Gorilla wood glue to attach the halves of the staircase posts together and then to the ends of the footboard. The bed was finally done :-)
Headboard & footboard $200
Bed frame from Costco $50
Staircase posts $2 x 4
Glossy polyurethane$8 x 3
Brushes, sandpaper, wood glue, screws we already had
Total: $287 (we saved $713)
We are loving our bed even more now that it looks better. The project wasn’t hard, just required some patience & effort. We really love how much money we saved in doing some of this ourselves.
This is our royal carriage that carries us to dream land every night :-)