Friday, February 10, 2017

Annual Verse

The children from my womb are NOT my own.  Yes I have carried them around in my body, and yes I stay up all hours of the night to make sure they are feeling well, changed, and fed, but they are NOT mine.  Just like everything else on this earth, these children are the Lord's.  They are blessings that the Lord has given me to take care of while I am on this earth.  It has always been important to the Mr and I to make sure that we are intentional in our parenting to point our children back to Jesus.
I want my children to have confidence knowing that their mama is continually and specifically praying over them.  I want them to know that I am not just here to take care of their physical and emotional needs, but also to foster their spiritual needs.
Before my babies were born I prayerfully selected a theme verse to pray over lives as they were growing in my womb.  I hung Dutch’s in the nursery (Psalm 91:4), and then when I was pregnant with Ellis I added hers to the nursery wall (Isaiah 40:30-31).  When our babies were dedicated at church these were the verses that we prayed over them.DSC_0841DSC_0833DSC_0834
Then on every birthday I select a verse for the year to pray over my babies and to teach them.  I frame the scripture and put it next to their birthday cake.  I want them to know that I am intentionally praying for them constantly and that they can expect that as they grow my prayers will evolve with them with each new phase of their lives.  After each birthday I move the framed scripture into the nursery with them as a visual reminder that I am praying for them.  What I’ve found is that even though my intention is to select these verses for them, I spend so much time meditating on these words that I learn to incorporate them even deeper into my own life as well.  So while I know it is for them, I am growing as a mother just as much.
Dutch’s first birthday was a honey bee theme
so I selected a verse that went with the theme:
Joshua 1:9DSC_0018Joshua 1-9
On Dutch’s second birthday, we had a Mickey Mouse theme because he loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  If you have a toddler then I’m sure you know about Oh-Toodles and how he gives Mickey 3-4 tools to help him through the episode.  I wanted to remind Dutch of the tools that God gives him, so I selected Galatians 5:22-23DSC_0355Dutch scripture for second birthday
Since Ellis just had her first birthday, it was time for me to select her verse for the year.  Her party theme was vintage lace and flowers, and I didn’t have a verse that was really speaking to me with that theme, but there was a verse that I just couldn’t shake, and that was Jeremiah 32:17.  (This is also a little sneak peak into her birthday party since I haven’t shared those pictures yet.  More to come on her party next week- I promise!)jpeg-0009jpeg-0010
I have started to look forward to the verses that the Lord gives me, because I know that while I pray for my children I am going to grow myself.  And to be completely honest, when you have a party for your child and the guests see scripture right next to the cake, it is a great opportunity to witness to someone else and for them to know more about your values.
What do you do every year for your children on their birthdays? 
What traditions do you incorporate that make birthdays extra special?
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...