Friday, July 15, 2011

Suggestion Box: Now Open

SuggestionBox

via

Surprise! I’m not really all together, I just have a façade to make me look like I’m put together.  Since moving into our home (almost 4 years ago!), I have renovated and updated everything in our house.  I’ve moved from room to room remodeling and altering things so they’re workin’ together just perfectly (at least I think so).  I have redone the kitchen, dining room, office, guest room, bathroom, and living room.  However, I have purposefully  skipped our bedroom over and over again.  Each summer I pick a room to tackle, and each year I avoided our bedroom. Why? Because I have NO idea what I want AND I’m scared that what I want is going to take a lot of effort (read: Darby is lazy).  I have looked through so many pictures and blogs and said things like, “Oh that is nice”, “I love her choice of pillows”, “that is a great wall color”……..Herein lies the problem:

I LIKE EVERYTHING!

So here I am, at the mercy of all you wonderful blogland decorators, begging asking for ideas.  I need you to help me narrow down what in the world I want, and suggest ways to get there without having to sell one of my kidneys.

To “help me, help you” (Thank you Jerry McGuire), I would say that my taste is sophisticated and traditional, yet livable and fresh.  I tend to like a lot of neutral colors and whites to make things bright (but not so bright that you need sunglasses).  I like peaceful vibes, but I don’t like nautical or palm trees.   I’m not interested in anything super girly; for some reason I don’t foresee a girly bedroom going over really well with my hubs ;-) I like most shabby chic and antique décor, and I’m not above DIY projects. 

Another decorating dilemma I have is that since the rest of my house is very neutral and tranquil (which I like), is that what I want to stick with?  Or is that too matchy-matchy?  Should I branch out to other ideas or just stick to what I know I love?

Ok so clearly I need some suggestions and ideas….Here is what I have now to help get your creative brain juices going.  I realize these pictures are bad, but they’re supposed to be bad; they’re before pictures!

Phil got me this painting several years ago and I wanted to use it as inspiration for the room…..We see how effective I was at that.  I still like the painting, but it clearly does not fit well in this room, or anywhere else in the house for that matter.DSC04890

No bedroom is complete without a change bucket, right?DSC04878

Palm tree lamps?! Like I said, I don’t like palm trees so I have no idea why we have TWO of these atrocious things.  Yuck x2!DSC04870

A Moroccan candle holder from our bedroom at our last home that matched our bedding and the layout of the room there.  DSC04871

These candle stick holders are also from our last place.  Though we have lived here for almost 4 years now, I still have not found the place where these are supposed to go, so they sit here.  They have black stands.  Maybe paint them white?DSC04872

The pattern of our bedding changes constantly so I don’t want to change the wall color (it’s an eggshell color now), but here is what I have on the bed right now….but be aware that this will change soon I’m sure.  Also we need a new headboard.  We gave ours away a few years ago to someone who wanted one, so now we need a new one.  Well we don’t “need” a headboard, but I think it gives the room a more finished look.  The headboard is a “want”.DSC03457I throw the “throw pillows” off the bed onto the floor in front of the window every night. I think I would like a bench that sits right under the window and opens up for the pillows to be stored inside.DSC04880

I would prefer not to buy new furniture but I’m open to changing this furniture with a different stain or paint.  I was thinking of white or gray paint and then distressing it.  Thoughts?

DSC04874DSC04882DSC04886

These are my jewelry boxes that sits in the corner not matching anything in the hodge-podge room.DSC04888

On the doorway into the bedroom I hunk some mistletoe last year for Christmas as a joke and it’s still there.  Please don’t tell me if this is tackier than leaving Christmas lights up outside year-round. lolDSC04883

This is my favorite part of our bedroom.  When we got back to the USA from our honeymoon, my new in-laws had our marriage certificate framed and waiting for us.  It was so special that they would do that for us, and we love having it hang in our bedroom as a reminder of the covenant we made to each other.  DSC04892

Though I am still in the brainstorming stage, I have thought and researched some sample master bedrooms that I like: 47481679_PBChvELV_c47482428_Kl39NdNt_c51239916_Q5vxgiNb_cIMG_2932

via-via-via-via

Would you say I have an interior decorators nightmare on my hands?! Absolutely!  This is where YOU come in.  I really do need a lot of help and suggestions! Please send me pictures, links, and plenty of ideas.  This is my summer project that I can no longer avoid!  Help me face this challenge head on!

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...