Monday, July 11, 2011

Picture Perfect Picnic: Lunch Time

Welcome to another week!  I hope you had a great weekend and are refreshed to start a new week.  Last Monday I showed you a lot of basket options for your picnics this summer.  Now that you’re arriving to your picnic in style, let’s talk about what you’ve stuffed inside your picnic basket :-)
Entrée: As I mentioned last week: MAYO = NO NO!  Especially in the Texas heat, you want to avoid recipes that contain a lot of mayo because it could make you sick.  Considering many of our favorite traditional picnic meals include mayo, it’s really hard to steer clear (waaaaaaa!).  Don’t worry, I have an easy alternative for you!  This is my chicken cordon bleu sandwich recipe, that I make even when we don’t go on picnics.  This is a family favorite, so consider yourself part of the family now :-)From the Kitchen of Darby Hawley
Ingredients:
Chicken (I use the bagged chicken breast from Kroger & just cut it up)
EVOO
Salt & pepper
Ham (I just get nice lunch meat)
Mozzarella (again sliced in the packages that are perfect for sandwiches)
1 French bread loaf
Butter (unsalted)
Dijon mustard
Spinach
Directions:
1. Preheat the broiler. Line the inside of a broiler pan with Reynold’s Wrap (for easy clean-up). Place the chicken on the broiler pan, brush with EVOO, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Broil the chicken, rotating as needed for even cooking, for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
2. Once the chicken is cooked, place a piece of ham and a slice of cheese on top of the chicken and put it back in the broiler for 1-2 minutes (until the cheese melts). Season the top again with salt & drizzle a little EVOO on top.
3. Slice the bread in half; on the top spread mustard and on the bottom spread butter. Use a little more EVOO, salt and pepper on the bread, then add the chicken/ham/cheese and top with spinach. (If you need a little more spice, like my hubby, add some hot sauce)
CHICKEN_CORDON_BLEU_29.tif
Doesn’t that sound delicious? Yum, I’m hungry now just thinking about it.  If this sandwich is not enticing for you, here are some other sandwich recipes that are perfect for picnics.  Wrap your sandwich in wax paper and secure it with some twine or a ribbon.20757544_miFqBSZ6_c
Simple Sides:  If you’re a new follower of Life with the Hawleys, you will quickly learn that I am a big fan of glass jars.  I have way more than any person should.  If you’ve been hangin’ out with me for a while, it should come as no surprise that I would find some way to incorporate my little jars into my picnicking.  You can pretty much put anything in a jar for each person’s serving.  Here are a couple side salad ideas for you:
Chicken & Chick Pea Salad52840711_Om5YqhSx_c
Pesto Pasta52840963_DO1fXgSw_c
Aren’t they pretty?52837179_z1ATKGCp_c
Packing:  When packing your basket, don’t forget ice packs.  Even though your sandwich is warm, you’ll want the sides to stay cool.  Put your heavier items on the bottom and things that could get squished on top.  My buddy Martha (who doesn’t know we’re best friends yet) wraps each persons meal in a dish towel so it’s easy to pack and distribute.  Here is her packing tutorial.  mld105794_0810_lunch_xl
Ok how are you feelin’? Ready for a picnic? I certainly hope so!!!52836999_7hdCrm5q_c
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...