Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Foodies Review

Like I mentioned on Friday, I have been catching up on my first-timer reviews.  Here are the rest that I didn’t finish last week.

Creamy Skillet Penne with Mushrooms & Asparagus - We thought DSC05423this pasta was pretty good. Like always, I made a few minor adjustments to the recipe to suit our tastes. I added grilled chicken for some protein, used whole-grain penne, and omitted the wine. The parmesan cheese was the perfect last ingredient to complete the meal.

Skillet American Chop Suey- To be perfectly honest, I only made DSC05452this recipe because of the name. Surprisingly, I didn’t change the recipe at all. Shocker! I loved that it was a one-pot meal and that the ingredients were simple and appeasing to picky eaters. However, I will say that this recipe was VERY similar to the Skillet Chili Mac which I called “glorified hamburger helper.” I’m not a fan of hamburger helper, but if you are, than this is certainly a recipe for you.

Spaghetti with Spinach, Bacon & Toasted Bread Crumbs- My DSC05512hubby liked this dish a lot more than I did simply based on a tasting preference. I added grilled chicken to go on top and I think that I really wouldn’t have liked this dish without the chicken. When I subtract the time it took to grill the chicken, I needed about 45-minutes to make the rest of the dish.

Baja-Style Fish Tacos- A couple weeks ago we had fish tacos at DSC05541smallgroup for dinner. Since they were so delicious I decided to try making my own and was thrilled to find this recipe in our book. I didn’t want to fry the fish though, so I grilled it instead. I added cilantro, fresh lime juice, and homemade salsa verde as toppings. I served the tacos with Cuban black beans, but everyone ate the beans as another taco topping. I really like the idea of fish tacos, but I think cod was a little too much of a “fishy” flavor for me. I will definitely try this recipe again but with another type of fish (e.g. tilapia).

Beef Teriyaki- Of course I had to cook this recipe because it DSC05524looked so delicious on the picture page. This meal can be made much faster than the 30-minute maximum. In fact I’m pretty sure I had this insanely simple meal on the table it a little over 15 minutes. I used 1/8 tsp dried ginger instead of freshly grated, which probably saved on time. I also added sesame seeds and served it over white rice to match the picture. Deliciously quick dinner!

Simplified Smothered Pork Chops with Apple Cider- This dinner DSC05518received a perfect score from me. I really liked the delicious sweet and savory flavor with the subtle mustard undertone. Phil did not like the pork as much as I did though. I served this over white rice and will probably be making it again, when my hubby is out of town ;-)

Fiesta Chicken Casserole- This was so good, and I can’t wait to DSC05089cook it again.  Most people who know me, know I don’t like left-overs, but I plan on using this recipe after Thanksgiving this year with turkey to switch things up a bit.

Tostadas- This is the very last recipe in the cookbook, though not my last recipe- I still have many left to go through. This is another great post-Thanksgiving meal to add some variety to your turkey. I made this meal simply because I already had all of the ingredients on hand and it wouldn’t require a trip to the store. IDSC05377 know you know what tostadas look like so I just took a picture of all the fixin’s I had available for dinner: salsa, refried beans, avocado, green chilies, cilantro, sour cream, black olives, cheddar, and chicken.

I’m officially caught up on all of my reviews.  I really need to try and get back on track with my weekly updates because it really is hard to remember all the details. 

Did you see a recipe that looked delicious to you?  Let me know and I’ll send you the recipe :-)  Do you have a recipe that you would like me to try and write a review on?  Please send it to me and I’d be delighted to cook it for ya!

xoxo Darby

1 comment :

Danie said...

I am the total opposite when it comes to fish tacos. I have made them with cod and tilapia, but I find the tilapia has a more "fishy" taste than the cod. I FINALLY perfected my tiliapia cooking skills a few weeks ago when I made blackened tilapia sandwiches and they were delicious! My own thrown together recipe..and I didn't even put it on my blog, shame on me! Lol! But, there are low-cal recipes where you can "fry" the fish, just gotta be careful with your ingredients. The pork chop meal looks like a hit in my book and my hubby would eat pork chops every day if he could =)!

Oh and another thing... I ALWAYS change recipes up, unless it's baking. That's the only time you can really mess something up if you're an unexperienced baker like me lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...