Friday, July 29, 2016

I'm NOT Bored: What I Wish I Said If I Could Think Faster

"What do you do all day? Don't you get bored being at home all the time?"
I smiled and bit my tongue
"You should do a project"
I literally laughed out loud.
***Now, I know what you must be thinking: this is a post about how stay at home mamas (SAHM) have it hard.  You are wrong!  Mamas that work in the home and out of the home, as well as SAHM are all working hard.  I've been all of these, and honestly they all have their own unique challenges. The job of being a mother has NOTHING to do with whether or not you receive a paycheck.  Every mama is working her hardest to serve her family the best way she can, so bravo to you mamas every where no matter where you work.  This post is for ALL of the mamas!***
I'm not Bored
So, above was a conversation that actually happened on Wednesday.  Yes, another mother asked me this.  I wish I had answered her instead of laughing.  But sometimes I just can't think fast enough.  Does that ever happen to you?  Maybe with 2 babies two and under I was just too tired to think fast enough to respond?  My entire drive home I ruminated over all of the things that I wish I told her.  So mother out there who thinks I'm bored, this is what I wish I said:

What DO I do all day?

-I change 4 bazillion diapers before noon everyday.
-I answer a thousand questions during every meal.
-My fingers are chapped because I am constantly washing my hands (ya know, between the poop and all of the other messes; oh yeah, and doing dishes constantly).
-I run errands (the vet, grocery store, dry cleaning, etc.)
-I vacuum at least once a day, because 2 dogs....
-I am completely ignorant over what the latest musical group is because I sing about Old McDonald and The Wheels on the Bus. I’m really good. You should see me, I can do the motions and everything ;-)
-I've had at least one person attached to me for the past 2 years, and lately I have 2 people attached or hanging off of me.
-I have developed the fine art of guessing.
-I play hockey with plastic golf clubs for hours
-I make overly ambitious to-do lists that roll-over daily and overwhelm me.
-I coordinate when we need to have someone come out to the house because something broke.  This week it's our fridge that broke, and I'm nervous I'm going to lose the thousands of ounces- yes, you read that correctly: thousands- of breast milk I have pumped to donate to sick babies in the NICU.  This means that I pump every 2-3 hours in between nursing my babies.
-I'm a chef.  Not a great one, but I do my very best.
-I do a minimum of 2 loads of laundry a day.
-I nurse boo-boos back to health with "bam-bams," which translates to "band aids" in case you don't speak Toddler.  Yes I've picked up another foreign language in my free time ;-)
-The last book I read was made of thick cardboard, was 5 pages long, and I read it no less than 60 times.  I have memorized it.  My variety comes from "doing the voices."
-I meal plan nutritious meals for my family (well not this week because I didn't get to it last Friday and we're living off my freezer meal stash).
-I too, keep up with email.
-I slept 1.5 hours last night because of a sick baby and today I get to juggle that sick baby while I chase a toddler. #sendmorecoffee
-My last hot meal was over 2 years ago.
-I learn about the latest breaking news 3 days after the event.
-My only communication with the outside world is via Facebook and text.
-When the stars align and both babies are asleep at the same time, I blog...it's a guilty pleasure.
-I organize art projects and educational lessons for the kids.
-My uniform is a headband, leggings, and a nursing top.  (Why do I ever buy anything else?!)
-We go through and read our bibles and work on learning scripture.
-I sometimes remember to feed the dogs (thank goodness the Mr. helps remind me here) .
-I wash bed linens at least 2x a week because.....poop-polosions
-I pay bills. #adultingsucks
-I make sure the kids are clothed and bathed.
-I oversee doctors appointments at least once a month.
-I chauffeur to preschool and make sure lunches are packed.
-I email myself more than anyone else so that I can remember to add stuff to my todo list .
-I counsel toddler problems and redirect behavior.
-I dream about hot coffee (“hot” being the key word).
-I haven't gone to the bathroom alone ("alone" is the keyword here) in 2 years.
-I also haven't showered alone in over 2 years, and I currently don't remember when my last shower was. #IwishIwerekidding #dryshampooismyfriend
-I never regret being home with my kids, but my work doesn't end at 5pm, it goes around the clock (and well until the am hours).
-I try to "stop and smell the roses" as much as I can.  I hold my babies as much as I can because I know they grow too quickly, and the world can wait while I hold them.  No one will die if I don't respond right away.  Nothing is that emergent.
-Amidst the chaos I try to create a home that is safe, secure, peaceful, & encouraging.


This list of daily activities is NOT a list of complaints.  Far from it!  This list may not seem like important work, but I am investing and contributing to society.

While I absolutely love my job being a mama, and have ZERO regrets, I can assure you, I am NOT bored. 

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...