When the weather gets cooler and evenings are busy as the sun sets earlier, this is such a perfect weeknight meal for the fall! I’m noticing more and more that I need fast meals during the week and I’m not willing to sacrifice flavor or the health of my family for a fast meal. To make this meal takes less than 30 minutes (I promise!) and this recipe is a true winner around here!
1 lb chicken breast
Salt & Pepper
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 tsp garam masala (note on this spice)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth (I use 1 cup water and a chicken bouillon cube)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
½ cup dried apricots, quartered
15 oz can chick peas, rinsed
Couscous (I use regular New East)
1. Salt and pepper chicken then grill or sauté.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garam masala, garlic, ¼ tsp salt until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Stir in flour until lightly browned (about 1 minute).
3. Slowly stir in broth, scraping down any browned bits. Stir in tomatoes, apricots, and chickpeas, and raise temperature to medium-high. Simmer until apricots begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
4. Reduce heat to low and add in chicken. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. During the 10 minutes, prepare couscous.
5. To the chicken mixture, add 2 tbs chopped cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve chicken over the couscous and garnish with cilantro.