Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sweetheart Cupcakes

For Valentine’s Day I made these cupcakes for Phil (and myself- if I didn’t include myself I would be a big fat liar!). I think you could really make these cupcakes for any occasion by changing out the center shape and/or color.
I split the cake batter, 75%-25% and used food coloring to dye the 25%. Then I poured it into a sheet cake pan and baked it about 20 minutes.

I put the red cake in the freezer to cool down while I made dinner. After dinner, I used a small heart cookie cutter to cut out the red cake. I think you can guess where the left over hearts went ;-)
I filled the cupcake tins about 2/3 full and then put the hearts in (point down- so when you cut into them you could see the hearts.) From this view you can’t really tell the red cake is a heart, but that is because you’re looking down at the top of the hearts.
I covered the tops of the hearts with the remaining cake batter, and put them in the oven at 350 for about 24 minutes. After they had cooled I iced them (you will want to make sure the cupcakes are facing the same direction so that you know which direction the hearts are facing). Voila! A sweetheart cupcake for my Valentine.
Hope you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day! What did you do special for your Valentine?
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...