Monday, October 16, 2017

Science Letters

As a lover of the sciences, and neuroscientist myself, I try my best to incorporate science & as many hands-on activities as I can into our homeschooling.  We've been doing "a letter a week" in two week units since about May and I've been looking for science activities to do that match up with each letter.  Over the summer I got a new book and it has been such a great resource.  Let me tell you about it!Science & Letters- Life with the Hawleys- 2
Hawley Homeschool
This book is filled with science projects of varying degrees.  There are more simple variations for preschoolers, but there are also more complex options for older children.  I have started saving these activities to do when the Mr. is home so that we can all participate in the fun (and I have more adults to help me hehe).  We will sometimes do them in the evenings or on the weekends.  I'm finding that my husband really looks forward to doing an educational activity like this and so it really is a fun family project.
What I do is select 2-3 ideas to go with each unit, which again is 2 weeks for us.  When we were working on the letter 'C' I selected growing Crystals & painting Coffee filters. 
We did these during Hurricane Harvey when we were stuck at home for about 2 weeks and this really helped with cabin fever!DSC_0120DSC_0122

 
These really were easy & fun for everyone to watch throughout the week and allowed us to talk about our letters while doing something with our hands.  Sometimes when we're working with our hands it allows for a lot of organic conversation, so just talking about letters & practicing the phonetics of each letter is much easier during an activity.  I highly recommend this book of science activities (get here stat!)Science & Letters- Life with the Hawleys- 1
Obligatory Blogger Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post, I just really like the brand.
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...