Monday, May 22, 2017

Barley & Kale Salad with Chicken

This recipe is my back-up!  I tend to forget about dinner sometimes, and when I do, this is my go-to meal.  I know that I always have these ingredients in the kitchen and I can throw this together really quickly for a fast & healthy dinner.  I'm honestly so addicted to how refreshing this salad is.  Try out this baby and tell me what you think.Barley & Kale Salad with Chicken- Life with the HawleysFrom the Kitchen of Darby HawleyIngredients:
1/2 barley, Italian farro, & kamut wheat mix (if you can't find this, a pearl barley is a great substitute)
1 lb chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
sea salt & ground pepper, to taste
1-2 tbs bacon fat
3-4 cups kale leaves with the stems removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/3 cup feta, crumbled,
15 oz can chick peas, rinsed & drained
1 avocado, cubed
1/4 cup red onion, diced finely
1. Cook barley mix according to package instructions.  While that barley is cooking, season chicken with sea salt & pepper and sauté in a heated skillet (I always use cast iron) until browned.
2. Toss together remaining ingredients with the lemon vinaigrette dressing, and then top with cooled barley and chicken.
3. Enjoy!
DSC_0780DSC_0777
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...